PDA

View Full Version : Baby Trend Highchair

Annette_C
03-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Did anybody see Alan and Denise Fields on the Today Show on Friday (March 8)? They were giving advice on baby bargains (of course!) and one of the suggestions they made was to get the Baby Trend highchair (for $89) instead of the Perego Prima Pappa or the Chicco Mamma (much more expensive models) if you like the European look but not the price. For the whole story you can click on this link:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/720811.asp
Now, for my question.....
Is anyone familiar with this chair? I read the reviews on the Babies R Us site and they were all positive but, unfortunately, I can't seem to find one to buy anywhere! I went to two Toys R Us stores (they only had the blue model, I want the khaki since I'm having a girl); I searched the entire internet (I feel like the guy on the commercial that has reached the end of the internet!LOL). The only site that carried them was Amazon/Babies R Us but they're out of stock!
Would anyone know where I could find one?
Your help and comments on this chair will be greatly appreciated.
Annette :)

jojo2324
03-10-2002, 11:03 AM
I do not have this chair, but I have registered for it. I believe there are a few threads lower on the list and the general consensus is save your money and get the baby trend. My husband and I saw the khaki one at BRU, but we registered for the navy online. (We don't know what we're having and thought the ruffle-y edge was a little too feminine.) It was very sturdy, the tray was easy to pull off and put back on, it has a wide base. And it seems like exactly the same high chair as the Pappa or Mamma, just much less. We asked the (inept) help at BRU if they could order the navy style for us; this seemed to be much more of a problem than the person could handle, so he had to track someone down who told us to go online, which we did. They have the navy there, just out of stock. I would just try and special order the khaki one through Toys R Us, or BRU if you have one nearby. I don't see why it would be a problem because they have signs all over the store that tell you it's a possibility. Hope that helps!

Annette_C
03-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks jojo!
I have tried to special order it but they told me they can't. They said that whatever they get in on the truck is what they'll have on stock. I have seen the blue one that you like in all the Toys R Us here in CT. The khaki I want is only stocked at Babies R Us here....go figure! BRU told me they have an open order of 1,000 from Baby Trend but they have no clue as to when they will come in. I guess this chair is pretty hot at the moment!
Thanks again and good luck with your blue one.

starfish1995
03-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Does this chair have a pop-off tray that can be put in the dishwasher?

momathome
03-11-2002, 09:45 AM
I saw this chair at Babies R Us yesterday and really liked it. However, does anyone know if there is a vinyl version of this chair? I'm really not crazy about the cloth cover.
-Lauren

jojo2324
03-11-2002, 11:30 AM
I believe that the khaki is cloth and the navy is vinyl. I don't understand why BRU is so consistent with putting up special order signs if it really seems to not be something they want to deal with. I guess they do with the furniture, but I did see signs next to the high chairs when I went...That's why I asked. GGGRRRR

Annette_C
03-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Lauren,
I don't believe there's a vinyl version of this chair. I saw the blue one and it's also cloth. Personally, I prefer cloth. I try to put myself in my baby's place and I ask myself: "Would I prefer sitting on vinyl or cloth on a hot summer day?" Babies' skin is so delicate that I'd rather wash the cloth cover than have my baby sticky and uncomfortable on a vinyl one. But, then again, that's my personal opinion. If you prefer vinyl, you might be interested in the FP Healthy Care high chair.

momathome
03-11-2002, 10:24 PM
While the cloth seat seems softer, it seems like it would be a very high maintenance choice. I do not want to be constantly removing the cloth pad every day to throw in the washer - can the pad possibly look good after going through 20 washings? I love just being able to sponge off the vinyl after a messy meal. I would love to hear the opinions of people who have used cloth for a while as to how difficult the pad is to keep clean. Thanks for the info!
-Lauren

Annette_C
03-11-2002, 11:33 PM
I understand your point but I remember reading a review on this chair (I believe it was at the BRU site) from a mom that had her cover scotch guarded and said it worked great. I also know some moms that use a towel as an added protection for the seat cover. And I repeat, that is only my personal opinion.

alandenisefields
03-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi folks. Glad you got to see the NBC show. To answer some of the questions:

1. The navy chair we showed on the show was cloth; I like the Scotch Guard tip as a way to make it more cleanable. The cover IS removeable for machine washing.

2. The Baby Trend has all the features of the Prima Pappa EXCEPT that removeable dinner tray that is on the 2002 Pappa models.

3. Baby Trend also makes a version of this high chair under their Swan brand name. It will be sold in BabyCatalog.com soon, we hear!

best wishes,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

mum2danngrace
03-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Hi All,

I purchased the Baby Trend last weekend and was disappointed in it and ended up returning it for the new 2002 Prima Pappa DT (double tray). I am not saying it's all bad, but just not enough quality in the construction.

My positives:

Liked the reclined very much. It had a bar in the back that you squeezed to adjust, very easy and sturdy.

The wheels were good overall.

The cloth cover was very well padded and soft. It is also reversable. I believe the extra covers are around $35 if you want a spare while washing the original.

My negatives:

The TRAY!!! It was impossible to use with one hand and frustrating even with TWO!!! I called customer service and they suggested soaping the bars that the tray attaches too, no luck there. Unlike the Prima Pappa, the arms stick out and the tray is supposed to "slide" onto them. Well, it is first difficult to line up smoothly and you must hold the chair portion while bracing the base of the chair with you foot to try and take the tray on and off.

toomanystrollers
03-12-2002, 04:16 PM
I'm very pleased with my new highchair - navy blue check version from Toysrus ($89.99 less $5 coupon). I will agree the tray can be tricky at first but I'm sure it will loosen up after some use. I can live with it. I couldn't justify spending over $150 for a highchair. I've heard a lot of complaints about Primma papas in the area of cleaning them. All I had to do was pull the chair out of the box and pop on the wheels. It's very compact and if I had too - I could toss it in the car.
-Pam (Kingston, MA)