PDA

View Full Version : Bottles w/ slower nipple flow

Cindder
03-12-2002, 10:12 AM
Help! While I am desperately trying to breastfeed (the pain factor is limiting me)I am supplementing the feeding with bottles. I currently am using Avent because it was highly recommended, but I find my newborn son tends to choke on the flow. I am using the 0+ nipple flow for newborns, but I still find that the flow is a little too much. Can anyone recommend another bottle/nipple to use? Thanks for your help!

Mom to newborn Kyle 2/28/02

mommymaria
03-12-2002, 04:33 PM
My son and I went through something similar. We tried several brands, and I found the Playtex VentAire bottles/nipples to be the only ones that kept him from gulping too fast.

Good luck,
Maria

suzska
03-12-2002, 11:54 PM
The nurses at the hospital suggested a preemie nipple/bottle. We tried the Gerber ones, but thoses still didn't seem to work, and they were rubber (I didn't like rubber). So we tried a few things and the ones my son was happiest with were the silicone Gerber NUK ortho nipples. We actually used them with the preemie bottles at first (I think they hold 2.5 ounces, and he wasn't taking much more than that for a while). But then we moved up to the 5 oz regular (Color Tints?) bottles and finally to the 9 oz bottles. I think I'm finally ready to go out and replace everything with sippy cups a year later.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01
--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

zane
03-27-2002, 01:27 AM
I bought the Avent bottles because of all the great feedback from people, but my DD always refused it, choking on it. She really likes the Johnson & Johnson Healthflow Stage 1 nipple. It is much softer than the Evenflo I bought and the Nuk flesh colored orthodontic one was weird and leaked all over- ? Also rejected the Gerber one.
At 51/2 mths she prefers the Stage 1 still, Stage 2 was too fast for her.
HTH
zane

lvp49
03-27-2002, 03:49 PM
We went through the same thing, and I finally bought almost one of every nipple at BRU. I had the Avent starter set because it was supposed to be so wonderful, and my sister raved about it. We finally wound up with plain old platex nursers with the drop in bags. There was not too much nipple for her, and she took them just fine. The preemies did not work for us because, while the nipple was the right size for her tiny mouth, the flow was too fast. I was told by a NICU person that this is because preemies tend to be weaker, and this helps them feed because they do not have to suck too hard. Hope all this worked out for you!!

TracyA
04-07-2002, 12:52 AM
You can also try the Evenflo Sensitive Response (I think that's what they're called) slow flow nipples. (The 0-3 month size.) They're pretty slow.