PDA

View Full Version : Best Thermometer?

littlenicky
03-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Hi,

What is the fastest and most accurate way to take the temperature of a sick and fussy 8 month old ???

I had a very difficult time taking Nicky's temperature with the free digital thermometer the hospital gave me - about 20-30 seconds to read under her arm... too long for a sick & fussy baby! Are there any Axillary Thermometers that will truelly give an accurate reading under the arm in less than 10 seconds?

Omron CLAIMS their 3-way Thermometer reads in 4-6 seconds... is this under the arm or rectally? Does anyone own this or have an opinion?

Pacifier-style thermometers: She doesn't like pacifiers

Rectal Thermometers: Out of the question

Ear Thermometers: Braun ThermoScan, Accu-Scan... are these as accurate and fast as they claim? I returned the Braun which was a shower gift when I discovered that more $$$ was required for lens filters to make the unit work. Obviously, I have now reconsidered... and would purchase this and a healthy supply or filters if the Braun really delivered an accurate, safe, & fast temperature reading in only one second! :)

Exergen TemporalScanner Temporal Artery Thermometer: ???
Scans across the forehead and can be used with a sleeping baby or one with an ear infection.
Claims: more accurate than ear, and at least as accurate as rectal thermometers. No probe covers required! This unit is the most $$$.

Thanks for your comments & suggestions.

jra
03-18-2002, 10:59 PM
I can't say from experience, but when I was looking for a new thermometer, I read a lot of opinions over at www.epinions.com It seems like the Braun ThermoScan one can be terribly inaccurate according to what I read there.

Jennifer