PDA

View Full Version : When to switch nipples (Avent)

munchkinsmom
03-28-2002, 04:14 PM
We've been using Avent bottles (mostly reusable). We stuck it out through some messy feedings with the newborn nipples, and have continued using the newborn until now. How do I know when to go up a stage? They are marked 1 month+ for stage 1, 3 months+ for stage 2. Since I've waited this long, should I just go to stage 2?

For convenience, I have about 10 bottles on hand - I need 5 or 6 a day, and I really like not having to worry about how many are clean, etc. As long as I run the dishwasher once a day, I know I'll be in good shape. BUT, this means that I have to invest a in a ton of nipples when I'm ready to switch, so i want to make sure that I time it right!

Thanks!
Leanna and Megan

suzska
03-28-2002, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't skip right to the stage 2. Try buying just one pack of the stage 1 ones, and see how your baby does. The month guidelines are just that, guidelines.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

heather10
03-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Leanna, if you go tothe website for Avent they give indications for when to switch. You can go to: http://www.aventamerica.com

Hope that helps!

rachelfran
03-30-2002, 08:07 PM
you don't have to switch if you're happy with the rate of flow that you are getting and the baby isn't unhappy with it either... we had our newborn nipples until our baby was 7 months and then switched to the three hole ones... he seems to be okay with that and he's now almost 9 months...

kk
03-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Your post did not mention if you are breastfeeding at all, but if you are, people have suggested sticking with the newborn size until at least 6 months.

If you want to go up a stage, just poke holes in your nipples with a sterile needle. I found I had a TON of newborn nipples, and could spare a few for upgrading to the next flow rate.

Good luck. KK

egoldber
03-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Hi! In contrast to some of the other posts, my baby was a very slow feeder and I started using 6 month nipples at 3 months.

I would agree with the above to buy a couple nipples in a "larger" size to see if they agree with your baby. And if your baby is OK with the newborn nipple, there isn't any reason to switch at all. A lot of those labels "newborn", "3 months" etc. are ploys to get you to buy products you don't need.

HTH,