PDA

View Full Version : Nuerosmith Jumbo Music Box

IansMom04
03-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone had the nureosmith jumbo music box toy? I was wondering if it was worth the $60 that it costs. Looks interesting but you never know and I'd rather get some unbiased opinions on it before I bring it home

Thanks

Chantal
Ian, 11 m

suzska
03-29-2002, 11:08 PM
My son got it for Christmas from my brother, but you know, we haven't played with it much. More because he got so many other things and I haven't rotated it back into the toys in his room lately, and at the time he couldn't roll the cube around. He did like to play with all the cool things on the sides while it was out. Guess I should give it another go!

If you are interested, check out http://www.neurosmith.com, the maker's site. They often have deals on the cartridges. Just be aware that the cyber cartridge DOES NOT work with the Jumbo Music Block--it is only designed for the Mozart Music Blocks. It's not completely obvious from the stuff you find online. I had to call the company. We have the Bach Blocks, and got the Nutcracker one free with it from them. Sometimes Amazon also runs deals on cartridges. You will want to buy at least one cartridge (you can "sample" them at the Neurosmith site), because the sounds that come programmed into the cube may drive you insane after a while ("Ev-ery-where-you-look-you-see-a-squuaaare!"). ;-)

Maybe I'll give it to him this weekend and give you another report next week?

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

rachelfran
03-30-2002, 08:09 PM
we saw this in the store and I promised myself to buy if for my son's first birthday - i thought it looked adorable! more importantly my 9 yr old and her 10 yr old friend liked it even more!

IansMom04
03-31-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I'd love to know if your sone is still interested in playing with it or not.

Chantal

suzska
04-02-2002, 10:30 PM
I still haven't pulled it out of the corner of the family room and taken it up to his room.

--Sue B.

APG
04-02-2002, 11:39 PM
my daughter has this and loves it!

evansdad
04-03-2002, 10:26 PM
We have it and love it, as do all the kids in our playgroup. We've had it for over three months, and my 13 month old still plays with it.

suzska
04-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Evan still doesn't seem too thrilled with the music part (he can't turn/roll it), but he likes to play with all the "activities" on the sides for a while. But I played with it today. ;-)

--Sue B.

laura_winckler
04-07-2002, 04:03 PM
I bought this for Christmas for my then 15 month old son, and it has not been a big hit. I was disappointed because he loves the Little Linguist that we bought for his birthday from the same company.

KM
04-07-2002, 09:18 PM
We bought this for my son's first birthday and its been a pretty big hit. It was just the right height for him to lean on when he was cruising, and now he likes to shake it for the music. Instead of lots of other toys, we asked for various cassettes as gifts. He really likes the Jazz, and the Surf Music. The Winnie the Pooh was terrible (its the Tigger song..."the wonderful thing about tiggers..." and each side recites a different verse of the same tune, no variety at all).

He hasnt played much with the faces of the blocks, but I think he'll grow to use them (zipper, buttons, etc).

So far Ive been very satisfied, but i prefer fewer toys that will grow with him.

For what it's worth, he has seemed to like the Stand Up Ball Blast just as much (with balls that roll down a spiral ramp, plays music, lights flash) just as much and it was a lot cheaper. However, i dont think it will have the longevity of the Block.

egoldber
09-21-2002, 07:32 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to mention...

My local Costco/Price Club has the Neurosmith Jumbo Music Block for $35.99. I just saw this same toy at The Right Start Store for $60. This includes one of the cartridges (Mozart) which normally sells separately for $19.99 many places.

I just picked one up for Sarah, since it is the right height for her to practice pulling up on. She plays with it some, but it isn't a favorite (yet). Wanted to pass on the good deal.

For the Northern VA crowd, it was the Costco at Highway 29 and West Ox Road.

HTH,

rachelfran
09-22-2002, 09:09 PM
just wanted to post that my son did get his for his first birthday in july and still loves it - in september - lol
i just switched the cartridge to jazz and that's neat too -
i love this toy -

brubeck
09-23-2002, 06:39 PM
My daughter got this for her birthday 10 months ago. BTW, we only paid $50 and got free shipping and a free Jumpin' Jive Jazz cassette from Babycenter.com. I know it is evern cheaper now.

My daughter plays with this in waves. She played a lot with it at first, left it for a month, then came back to it for awhile, then left it for a month, then came back to it, you get the picture. Everytime she comes back to it she seems to get something new out of it. She is 22 months now and honestly while I know she has gotten valuable playtime and learning out of it, I think she's pretty much at her limit. She's exhausted the songs, and can do and undo each side of the block (including the button!). I don't know how much more she can take away from this thing. But it was definitely worth it for the 10 months we have had it. The only drawback is that she learned how to undress herself by 18 months and started taking off her diaper. But that's another story. :-)

mary b
09-24-2002, 08:29 AM
Beth, thanks for the Costco tip. I was on the fence about this because of the price, but since it was only $35 including the Mozart, how could I not get it? I am a Costco junkie. Did you see the Magic Cheft kitchen for $52 instead of $80 at TRU?

Thanks again,
Mary

egoldber
09-24-2002, 08:40 AM
No I did NOT see that! What Costco were you at?

IansMom04
09-24-2002, 08:53 AM
We don't have Costco here in NY, but we do have Sam's Club, and they have the jumbo music box for $40, no extra cartridge though. I picked one up for my son (17m) but am going to return it. He wasn't into it and I wasn't too thrilled with it either.. though for a younger child it would probably be great for pulling up etc.

mary b
09-24-2002, 09:26 AM
I was at the Springdale, Ohio (north of downtown Cincinnati), they had tons of them and other Fisher Price toys but the FP kitchen and the Music Block seemed to be the major bargains right now.
Mary