PDA

View Full Version : where to find Evenflo's nipple adapter

egoldber
04-15-2002, 11:21 PM
Furthering my need to compulsively plan every detail of our upcoming trip to France, I have decided to give disposable bottles a try. My line of thinking was that this would make it easier to feed baby out & about during the day. Normally, we use the J&J Healthflow reusable bottles, so I decided to give their disposable bottle a try. In the course of this I have discovered that J&J has sold their bottle line to Munchkin, but I digress... Despite this, I managed to find a few of their bottles (on clearance yet!) at BRU.

OK, here's my problem. I try the bottle at home, and Sarah is fine with them, but what a mess! The nipple is so wide, formula leaks everywhere when I feed her! (We have a similar issue with Avent nipples as well). So I come back and research on this site and I find a few most excellent posts from Sue (suzska) a few weeks back about a product from Evenflo, an adapter to use regular reusable nipples on disposable bottles. Perfect, I say! I go to order from www.babysupermall.com and yikes! They want to charge me $7 shipping for a $4 item!

Does anyone know if BRU or anyone like that carries these things? Or am I just doing something wrong in the feeding process and it shouldn't be this messy. I am willing to pay the shipping if I have to, but would really rather not... :-)

TIA,

mommymaria
04-18-2002, 07:47 AM
Beth,

Have you found these anywhere else yet? I did some quick checking around my area and have not had any luck. Do you happen to know if these will work on the wide bottom nipples or just the "traditional" ones?

Also, I saw an ad for the new Playtex "premium" disposable nurser. It has a more natural shape silicon nipple. Maybe this will work for your daughter.

Maria

egoldber
04-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Maria, no luck. :( I went on a shopping blitzkrieg one day and hit Baby Depot, Target, Kmart, BRU, TRU, CVS, BuyBuyBaby (OK, I only called them), and Safeway. I also looked at about 20 online baby stores and no luck. They are also not on the Evenflo website, so I think they are a discontinued item that BabySuperMall happens to have about a jillion of. No luck, so I just bit the bullet on shipping and ordered. (I probably spent more on gas shopping around!!)

I saw those new Playtex nursers, but I really like the angled bottles. I know a lot of people say it makes no difference, but they work for us. And I didn't want to invest in a new nipple system for a "temporary" solution for travel. We'll see how I like to disposables.

I don't know if it works with Avent style nipples as well. I'll give it a try when the adapters arrive. They should be here Monday according to UPS.

egoldber
04-22-2002, 01:57 PM
My adapters came today via UPS. My "regular" nipples fit right on the adapter, which fits right on the J&J dosposable bottles. Haven't tried feeding Sarah yet (she's napping...).

I did try them with the Avent nipples I have and no luck. If you want to use the Avent nipple on a disposable, have you tried the Avent disposable system? Maybe the "regular" Avent nipples work with the Avent disposable bottles?

HTH,

suzska
04-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Sorry I didn't notice your message until today! Guess you found out that there seems to be only one place to get these.

As for the Avent question, I believe they say that you can only use the disposable nipples with the disposable bottles. I can't remember why that is--I think I have a few stashed away somewhere from my search for the perfect disposable system. I suppose I could take a look and compare them to the regular Avent bottles I have (neither of which my son would take).

Okay, I'm back....The collars for the Avent disposable are the same as the collars for the regular bottles. The difference appears to be in the nipple construction, and the seal they create with the bottle or disposable bag. So I don't think you can use regular nipples with the disposable bottles--I didn't test it, but I suspect it might leak or otherwise not function properly. The part of the nipple above the collar looks the same, so I would think that if your baby is use to Avent that they would be able to adjust to their disposable system.

I still have three of the Evenflo adaptors still in the package (I bought six in a panic just days before we were to leave!), but I think I'll hang on to them in case there's ever a baby #2 and I need them.

Good luck on your trip and I hope they work out for you. I still don't understand why someone else hasn't started to manufacture a product like these?!?

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

suzska
04-22-2002, 09:52 PM
P.S. The adapters are only for "traditional" size nipples. We used ours with NUK ortho nipples because that is the only thing my son would take. I used them with Playtex bottles, though, because I liked the drop-in liners.

The only mistake I made was not taking along my Gerber collars and caps instead of the collars and, what are those called? coins? that came with the adapters. I would have much prefered being able to put a cap over a nipple placed right way around in the bottle.

Now we are on to sippy cups, so none of this matters for us anymore. :-)

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

mommymaria
04-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Thanks to both of you for checking on the Avent nipples. Bummer that they do not work. This Evenflo product sounds like a great idea.

Actually, my son's situation is a bit complicated. We use Maws nipples since he needs a cross-cut to accomodate his thickened formula (reflux). I do not know of any other silicon cross-cut nipple, disposable or reusable. In a pinch, I could try the variable flow Avent - what a mess those are to use - but seems they will not work with the Avent disposable system.

We are not planning any major trips till later this year so I have time to work out a solution.

Enjoy your holiday, Beth!

Maria