PDA

View Full Version : What is the trick for the Avent bottles?

dueinapril
04-24-2002, 03:41 PM
I have the Avent bottles and I recall reading a long time ago that some people experienced them dripping/leaking. Does anybody know why or when they do this or better yet, how to prevent this from happening to ensure a dry feeding?? Any feedback would be great!! Thanks!

justinsmom
04-24-2002, 09:01 PM
The bottles do leak a little on occasion and that is usually a sign that the nipples need to be replaced. Avent suggests replacing them every 3 months. I have also found that if you close the top real tight and then tip the bottle upside down so that you get a light spray then the bottle will most likely not leak.

Hope that helps.

egoldber
04-25-2002, 10:06 AM
I read on another message board that the bottles can leak from the rim if you OVER tighten the cap. And that tightening the cap when there is leakage can actually make the problem worse. That person had contacted Avent customer service and that is what they had been told. You may want to call the 800 number and see what they say.

My problem with them is that my baby doesn't seem to get a good "seal" on the nipple and milk dribbles down around her mouth. I don't have this problem (or at least not nearly as badly or as often) with the regular nipples on my J&J Healthflow bottles. I would really like to know if there is any way around this. I have found that my J&J bottles are starting to deteriorate pretty badly and I need to replace a lot of them. This happened once I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months and started using and washing the bottles a LOT more frequently than I had been. I really like the Avent bottles, but the nipple just doesn't work so well for us. :(

kk
04-26-2002, 03:06 PM
I have the bottles and the sippy cups. The bottles never really leaked unless I overtightened them. The sippy cups however are ALL starting to leak badly! They have been banished to the back of the cupboard in favor of Gerber and Playtex sippy's. Just some thoughts for later. KK

riostoker
05-06-2002, 06:29 PM
With us, I don't think the nipples are the problem. Whenever I make a bottle, it leaks. Whenever my husband makes the bottle, it doesn't leak. So... the problem is definitely in the technique!

If you're using powdered formula, be sure to wipe off any powder that landed around the rim. That can cause the nipple not to seal to the top.

My husband's trick is to screw it on very easily - like with one finger. When it stops turning, just VERY lightly tighten it. That seems to do the trick. Apparently, I usually over-tighten it.

I get so fed up with the reusable bottles leaking that I try not to use them. The bottles with the disposable liners never leak for me.

ann

GrahamGal
05-07-2002, 11:57 PM
I put the nipples and rings together after washing while they are still damp-it seems to seal them up very well. Overtightening is also a big culprit of leaks.
Just a thumbs up for the Avent sippys-I recently purchased both a Gerber and a Playtex sippy cup, I noticed the handles are not "turnable" like the handles on the Avent. She isn't really holding cups herself yet, but it seems this would be an awkward way to hold the cup if the handles weren't on each side when the top is put on. I find myself messing with the others to get the spout RIGHT IN BETWEEN, lol. Maybe I am being to anal about it? Oh well. Good luck!
Sandy