PDA

View Full Version : Help! DD is outgrowing bassinette!

dd_ani
05-26-2002, 09:44 PM
ok, I need some suggestions and I hope someone out there can help. Our dd is three months old and has been sleeping in a bassinette in her pack and play in our room. This situation has been ideal for nursing and for just keeping her close (ok, I am a hovering first time mom, but I waited for years to get to this point!). The problem is that, although she is not yet 15 pounds, the weight limit for the bassinette is approaching.

We would like to continue to keep her in our room without having to disassemble her crib to move it in (not to mention the space it would take up.) So, I guess what I am looking for is some sort of a portable, smaller size bed that is safe to keep her in our room. Something of about the same height as her current bassinette would be ideal, especially since we have two large-ish dogs who also sleep in our room.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jenneric_2000
05-27-2002, 11:51 AM
I don't have a suggestion for something about the same height, but have you considered just having her sleep in the bottom of the PnP? I went to visit my sister with my DD (then 2mos) and my sis told me she had a PnP, I didn't think to ask if it had the bassinet feature like our's and it didn't. DD slept soundly on the bottom without a problem. She's nearly 17lbs now, I went out and bought some comfy sheets and made up the bottom of our's for her occasional nap (our's is in the TV room).

I can commiserate about being a nervous first time mom...I never thought I'd be able to sleep with her down the hall in her own room, but we got there! Good luck!

Shirale
05-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Hi! I totally sympathize...here are 2 possible suggestions. I am not sure how this works (another more experianced mom might be able to tell us!) but I know that there is some sort of additional mattress that you can put in a pack n play to make it higher up. When my dd was 3 mo we went on a trip and stayed at friends and that's what she slept in...it was pretty good, the reg PIP in is just too difficult to keep leaning down to pick them up...ok, second option, my sister in law told me about this larger bassinette called the Evolution bed, I just can't seem to find where to buy it...maybe to a search?The other thing I just thought of is a Co-sleeper, I think they have one that eventually turns into a playpen. Ok- hope this helps somewhat!

gdota
06-01-2002, 01:13 PM
I have not tried this, but was considering it for our 2nd baby (we had the same problem with our first that you have.):

http:// www.babybunk.com

The weight limit is higher (35 lbs), and you can purchase OR rent from the company.

HTH!

-gabrielle

spu
06-05-2002, 09:49 AM
These are great suggestions. We're expecting twins in about a month and since I've been on bedrest since Feb. we'll be painting the nursery after their born. Our cribs also won't fit through doors.

So... it sounds like it's OK to have the babies sleep in the bottom of a pnp? That would be great so we can set it up in our bedroom while the nursery airs out for the week.

Has anyone heard that sleeping in a pnp is not safe?

thanks!
susan