PDA

View Full Version : sleeping in a pack-n-play

spu
06-06-2002, 09:18 AM
We're expecting twins soon and are wondering about the rules / safety issues about allowing newborns to sleep in a pack-n-play. We'll have the cribs upstairs, but might put the pnp in our bedroom or downstairs. Are the pnp's safe for overnight sleeping? Can they be used for vacations where they might sleep for a week in one? Also, we'll be painting the nursery after the babies arrive, so we'll need an alternative place for them to sleep while the fumes air out. Would the pnp be a good solution for the week? (The cribs won't fit through the doorway to roll into our room.) We weren't planning on getting bassinetts or baskets so the pnp would be ideal as long as it's safe.

If we have the babies sleep in the pnp from time to time, what do we need to do for safety? Are there certain sheets or other things to watch for? Are they firm enough?

thanks so much for any help!
susan

egoldber
06-06-2002, 12:01 PM
We have the PNP with the bassinet and used the bassinet as her main "napping" place for about 6 weeks. She has long since outgrown the bassinet, and I have not yet used the "floor" of my own PNP as a sleeping place for Sarah. BUT we travel a lot and the "crib" provided by many hotels is actually a PNP. This is true often enough that when we stay at a hotel, I bring my own PNP sheets from home, since many hotels actually give you regular sheets, not PNP sheets.
Graco sells sheets for the PNP that you will need to buy, since it doesn't come with any. They are about $5 at BRU. Many people use other cheets with success, but I took the easy way out. :)

I am not aware of particular safety issues of using the PNP as a "crib". Follow the same rules as when using a regular crib. The PNP is actually quite firm. Personally, I wouldn't use it very often as the main crib for 2 reasons. The first is that it is a royal pain to bend down and pick baby up from the full height of the PNP (not a problem with the bassinet). The second reason is that my baby doesn't sleep anywhere near as well in a PNP as she does in a crib. The PNP is kind of "rustly" when baby moves around. With twins, I can see them waking each other up moving around.

But I love my PNP. I had an (unscheduled) C-section and we used it to set up a downstairs changing station, napping place, etc. for those first few weeks when my stair climbing was limited. I loved it and still use the changing station feature. It is VERY convenient having all I need downstairs instead of having to run up and down the steps all day.

HTH,

Andrews Mom
06-06-2002, 07:31 PM
We didn't get a basinette and DS has been sleeping in the PNP with Basinette in our room for the last 10 weeks. He sleeps great and it's very easy and convenient. We had a cradle but DS didn't sleep well in it. He's doing great in the PNP. We use the Graco sheets and have been very happy with the whole set up.

elf
06-12-2002, 02:37 PM
My daughter spent the her first few months sleeping in her stroller (a Combi), which was great because I could roll it into any room I was in.

I don't know how tandem strollers work, so don't know if this would be an option.