PDA

View Full Version : Downy fabric softener for baby?

daisymommy
06-17-2002, 10:42 AM
I just saw Downy "Free" at Walmart (Free of dyes and fragrance.) It says it's good for people with sensitive skin and allergies. Does that mean it would be okay for baby clothes and bedding too? I know it destroys the flame retardancy on things, but hey, if a baby is in a fire, it's not like that's going to really protect them anyway right? (or am I missing the point or flame retardency?) Just wondering if anyone has tried this new Downy Free, and had success or rash break outs with it. Some things (like my Pack n'Play sheets, Graco Snug Ride cover, denim overalls, etc, are just so stiff & scratchy (plus I'm addicted to Downy softness :) !

egoldber
06-17-2002, 03:04 PM
I was careful for about a month to wash baby clothes separately and not use softener, but then I decided that was too much trouble and mixed her clothes with ours. I have always used a "fragrance free" detergent and fabric softener, because this is what I prefer personally. Unless your baby has a sensitivity to perfumes or chemicals, then it shouldn't matter. FYI, any all cotton baby clothes you have are not likely to be flame retardant anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

FYI, as far washing the Graco Snugride cover, I am pretty sure that the instructions say to wash in gentle and not put it in the dryer. You really don't want it to shrink! So I assume you mean the liquid fabric softener and not the dryer sheet kind. :)

HTH,

JMarie
06-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Downy Free has been a god-send for me - I'm allergic to most detergents and soaps, so I have to be careful what goes in my washing machine. We have VERY hard water, so my towels and t-shirts always felt stiff and icky. The Downy Free doesn't bother me at all and my shirts are soft again! I plan on washing our baby's clothes with ours from the beginning - I use ALL Free & Clear - so I don't think we'll have any problems. It's really personal preference - my sister used Tide from the get-go, and Abby (niece) has no skin problems from it, which is good, since eczema (sp?) runs in our family. Good luck!

JMarie

daisymommy
06-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the info! There is a new ALL "Baby Care" detergent that came out in the last few months. Is this the ALL Free & Clear everyone talks about? Or a different one? Has anyone tried that version of ALL ? We are on a budget, and Dreft is pretty darn expensive ($10.00 for 100 oz. I think). Is ALL and Tide pretty economical? Yes, I did mean the liquid Downy Free.

egoldber
06-19-2002, 08:00 AM
Amy, I bought All Free&Clear at my local Costco/Price Club. It is not marked for "baby" just Free&Clear. Baby detergents are pretty much a marketing gimmick. I would suspect that if you compare the All Free&Clear to their baby product, it may be the same thing. In fact, many "baby" detergents actually have very strong fragrances (like Dreft). FYI, the All version is MUCH cheaper than the Tide "Free" it is comparable to.

HTH,

jojo2324
06-19-2002, 09:02 AM
I got the All baby detergent, and it stinks (literally)! At least that's my opinion; perhaps it's my pregnant nose. The smell is so strong that I can't imagine something not getting on the baby's skin. Also, even though I usually use less detergent than recommended, there would still be lots of bubbles in the washer. I just washed everything again with no soap and the smell is still overwhelming...And when the stuff goes in the dryer! The whole house stank! I don't want the baby to smell like a powder puff! And I have to say that I think that Dreft is a million times stronger in terms of smell. Just my two cents...Nine more days :)