PDA

View Full Version : Music Suggestions

AugBaby
07-26-2002, 11:03 PM
We bought Baby's First Steps in Italian, and our dd absolutely loves it. We've had it for about 6 months now and play it non-stop. Our dd goes to sleep to it, she dances to it, and she'll stop crying as soon as she hears it. Unfortunatly, I'm getting a little tired of listening to it :-). We've purchased other CD's and the quality has been pretty poor. We have classical CD's, but I'm looking for something else. The CD she loves is a mixture of songs and poems being read. Any suggestions? Thanks!

suzska
07-27-2002, 08:15 AM
I think there's a thread about this over on the Toddler's Book boards. I can't remember any of there suggestions right now. :-)

sophiesmom
07-28-2002, 08:54 AM
Just curious. what is Baby's First Steps? is it music sung in Italian?

Andrews Mom
07-28-2002, 05:52 PM
I don't know if you're looking for more sleepy music or playtime music but I love Laurie Berkner for playtime music. DS is only 4 months old but he loves dancing to her songs. She has several albums out. I think the one we have is called "Buzz Buzz Buzz" or something like that. For sleepy time music, I love Kenny Loggins "Return to Pooh Corner"

Hope that helps. :)

Mindy

AugBaby
07-28-2002, 09:33 PM
To answer two posts in one, I'm not particular about music to sleep or play by, just something new to listen to all day and night :-)

Baby's First Steps is a series of three different CD's in three different languages - Italian, French and Spanish. The original intent of the CD's is to introduce a foreign language to infants in the first year before all those language synapses are pruned if they aren't used. The book that comes with the CD describes the process of learning sounds, and divides the CD into songs that you should definitely play at different ages (in case you don't want to play the whole CD). We loved the Italian one so much that we bought the Spanish and will be acquiring the French one shortly.

The songs are all in the foreign language of choice, interspersed with short poems. It's really well done on all fronts. The songs are native, the speakers are native, the voices are pleasant to listen to, and the music is well done. Even the concept of sound repetition is implemented without being annoying - tongue teasers and cleverly constructed poetry. We really can't say enough good things about it. Our dd has danced to it for months and one of her first words was "cuckoo" because she loves the song about a cuckoo that's on it.

Now just to find something that she/we like as much or even close!

MichelleL
07-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi there!

I was just wondering...How old was your baby when you started playing the CD? I really want my DS to be bilingual and am always anxious to hear about different learning tools. I am due 9/4 and am wondering if I should purchase this now or later.

Thanks!

Michelle L :)

Zansu
07-29-2002, 03:18 PM
The Baby's First Steps CDs sound great. Where did you get them? I just did a quick search on Amazon and didn't find them.

Thanks!

AugBaby
07-29-2002, 07:14 PM
We started playing the CD when dd was about 6 months old. You are supposed to play them from birth on, and I'm sure playing them while you're pregnant would be a head start! I didn't find the CD until then and was a little hesitant because I'd already tried some poor tapes. Then I read that a baby needs to hear the sounds of foreign languages, ideally, before 10 months and went down to our Borders and bought the first CD. I'd recommend buying it as soon as you can for a couple of reasons. When the baby is first born, you're not going to feel like going out to buy the CD :-). Also, I've been waiting to buy the French version, and it's been about 2 months since they had it in. The Borders by us seems to buy a batch in the different languages and then doesn't order any new ones until they're all gone. I've just been too lazy to special order it!

Amazon has it for $11.?? while I paid $16.95 I think. Of course, you probably would have to pay Amazon for shipping. Unfortunately, I can't get the link to work. Search by name under books, not CD's, and you should find it.

DD goes around dancing and singing, and I'm convinced it's because of the CD (much as I'd like to claim genetic credit:-) ). While I do understand the CD's, those who don't also have remarked at how nice they are. Oh, the CD also comes with a pretty interesting little book that explains how children learn foreign languages and the lyrics both in English and whichever language you choose. Even if you don't want it for the educational aspect, the format is really nice. Enjoy!

MichelleL
07-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I just went to Amazon.com and purchased it! I can't wait to receive it!!:D

Michelle L

ninbp
07-31-2002, 04:58 PM
We have this CD and we (and the baby) just love it!

Kim Scalon
Night Songs and Lullabies

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IWNI/ref=cm_mp_wli_/002-0149070-6349607

raynjen
08-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know if Baby's First Steps comes in Japanese? We will be moving to Okinawa in a few months and I want DD (and myself) to get used to the sounds of the language between now and then.

AugBaby
08-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't come in Japanese. They've only done it in three languages so far: Italian, Spanish and French. I wrote to Living Language and asked them if they were making any others and they said no. My husband is half Japanese (all four grandparents are from different countries), and we were interested in a Japanese version.

I did get a tape of songs in Japanese that is okay. It doesn't compare in quality to the Baby's First Steps CD's, but if you're specifically looking for Japanese you may want to try it. It's called Teach Me...Japanese. There are a lot of familiar songs that have been translated into Japanese, and I think all of the speakers on that tape are native. We have the Italian one of that brand as well, and the speakers are not all native.

Good luck!

mamahill
08-13-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm fascinated by this -- does anybody know if there is something like these books/music for Portuguese? I speak un peu French, though my brother, sister and aunt are fluent, my dad speaks German, and DH speaks Portuguese. Would love to raise DD in a house where different languages are common. I think I'll go ahead with the Baby's First Steps line, but would love to know about more languages, if possible! Thanks!

Magda
08-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I second the endorsment for Night Songs and Lullabies. I bought it before I was pregnant and was working as a day care teacher. We listened to it nearly every day and I never got sick of it. As a matter of fact, I listened to it in the hospital when my son was born. It is great

Babygirl
08-27-2002, 07:05 PM
I thought you might be interested in this doll that I just saw online.
Yumi Japanese Speaking Doll
by Language Littles
I didn't know they made things like this! Yes, it does come in other languages.
Have fun in Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005J3NG/qid=1030493858/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-0500735-4570542?v=glance&s=toys

suzska
08-28-2002, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing that any of you are looking for, but I thought I would mention them. I have the CD's "Heigh Ho Mozart" and "Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach." They are Disney songs rearranged in the styles of different classical composers. I bought them years ago, but forgot about them. I pulled them out and listened to "Heigh Ho Mozart" today. I don't know about anybody else, but I really like them. Since they are mostly instrumental, there's no singing to get on your nerves. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000006UX/qid=1030579329/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9981844-9231944?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000070H/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2_cp/104-9981844-9231944?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846

klmnyc
09-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Dan Zanes "Rocket Ship Beach".
His second CD is good also, but we never take RSB out of the CD player!
There's a 3rd being released soon. Check out his website and listen to clips:
www.festivalfive.com

No, I don't work for him! we just love his music! We've turned many non-parents onto him as well.