PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming outfit?

Naty
08-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Hi all,

I know it's early for this question, but I was wondering what type of outfit did you dress your baby in to take him/her home from the hospital. Is the outfit usually a fancy or special one? My baby will be born in early March 03 which technically still is winter here in Northern Virginia. What outfits do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

luvbeinmama
08-07-2002, 12:04 AM
Unless you have a camera-happy family (and even then, I'm not sure it matters), I'd just go with something warm with legs. I used a sleeper to take DS home in. It was huge on him, but that was just fine. You just can't use a gown, as the car seat strap goes between the legs. I would bring a sleeper to take him home, and have a couple blankets to cover the baby (after being strapped in) if it's really cold. There are some really cute sleepers out there if you are concerned about style.

egoldber
08-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Even though it's technically winter, based on the winter we had last year it could be very mild! (We live between Fairfax City and Falls Church, off of 50.) So I would bring 2 cute outfits, one for cool weather and one for warmer weather. You could always just bring the warm weather outfit and use blankets if it's cool. Just make sure the outfit is VERY easy to put on and take off. Nothing that is tight at the neck or buttons all the way down the back. I like outfits that button down the back now, but not when they are newborns and their heads are all floopy-floppy. :)

HTH,

Naty
08-07-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks all for the replies, they are very helpful. I also posted this question on the Reality Layette forum since posting it here was actually an error (ooops). Anyway, yes I was thinking about a cozy (fleece) sleeper, but you are also right Beth about our weather here in N. Va., so the idea of a warmer weather outfit is useful. We are in North Arlington (Ballston), by the way.

As a side note, I have to confess I have bought a few baby items already and I am only in my first trimester. Also, DH tells me to wait until the shower because I will get tons of clothes, but I can't help myself! This stuff is addictive :-)

egoldber
08-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Not only will you get a ton at the shower, you will also get a ton AFTER the baby is born as gifts. Really do try to restrain yourself, even though it can be VERY hard! :)

brubeck
08-08-2002, 06:55 PM
The other thing you might want to consider is that this might be the only outfit for your baby that you bring to the hospital. Many hospitals now have photos taken the day (or day after) your child is born, and you want something nice for that photo other than the standard hospital t-shirt and cap.

Specifically, if you know the gender in advance, take an outfit that screams 'I'm a Boy!' or 'I'm a Girl!' because seriously, in a newborn picture no one can tell. Dress the baby in yellow or white and give them a unisex name like Pat or Chris and no one will be able to figure it out. So if the photo outfit doubles as the homecoming outfit, you might want to take this into consideration.