PDA

View Full Version : swings

ehiller
08-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Does anyone have a wind-up swing? Do they still make them? I think I would prefer that to having to deal with batteries but wasn't sure they are still around.

egoldber
08-18-2002, 03:29 PM
They do still make wind up swings, but that would seem very inconvenient to me. I used my Graco swing every day for about 30 minutes to an hour for almost 5 months. I think I changed the batteries once.

HTH,

mamahill
08-18-2002, 04:37 PM
I agree with egoldber - unless it's a price issue, go for the battery-operated swing. They still make the wind-up (I saw one at BRU), but they only go for about 30 minutes and then you have to wind them again (and that is a HORRIBLE sound, especially to a dozing baby). DD wouldn't nap in the day without being rocked. She probably spends a couple hours in her swing a day, and she LOVES it. I've only just changed the batteries for the first time b/c I thought the other ones were getting low, though the swing still worked. DD was 3 weeks early and was extremely sensitive to her surroundings and easily overstimulated. Rocking her for an hour at night for the first couple weeks was a chore (we don't have a rocking chair, so we did a lot of walking and swaying), so when she was 3 weeks old I went to BRU and bought the Graco swing with 6 speeds, timer feature, and music for around $95. It is in the top 5 things I can't do without now! Good luck --

KathyO
08-19-2002, 10:31 AM
I DO have a wind-up swing (a Graco, good for 30 minutes at a go) , and I liked it fine. The wind-up mechanism is a LOT quieter than those ratchety horrors we remember from our own babysitting days. I was always in the room with DD when she was swinging, so it wasn't a hassle to step over and wind it up after thirty minutes, and she rarely was in it for more than one wind-up.

My friend who runs a consignment shop says that the battery-operated ones don't have as robust mechanisms as the winders, and frequently tend to get feeble after lots of use. She regularly gets battery swings that swing fine when empty, but just sit and hum when a baby is put in them, even when fresh batteries are used. This is likely not an issue when you buy one new, but may become so if you figure to use it for multiple children.

Cheers,

KathyO

Shirale
08-20-2002, 12:25 PM
I too have a Graco wind up swing and it is just fine. The mechanism makes little to no noise and my baby would never really stay in there for longer than 1/2 hour (I didn't let her sleep there) so it really was fine. I bought it from BRU.

denise1111
08-30-2002, 05:53 PM
We used the Graco wind up swing.
There is little noise with the wind up.
The feature I like about the battery swings though is you don't have to deal with the bar across the top.
If I had to do it again I would go for the battery operated one just for the ease of getting baby in and out.
***Denise E***