PDA

View Full Version : High chair vs. 4 stage feeding system

JLiebCamm
08-18-2002, 08:25 PM
A friend who recently had a baby advises skipping a high chair all together and getting The First Years 4 stage feeding system. She feels that besides saving space, it also is easier to use. I'm very skeptical about this and am looking for other people's opinions on it. Thanks!

ct
08-18-2002, 10:48 PM
I totally agree with your friend. I have both a highchair and the feeding seat and I don't think I've even used my highchair for my child more than 5 times (she's 23MO). The only time the highchair is used is when a friend comes over with her little one and we need to seat both. My DD seemed to prefer the feeding seat since we started using it at 4MO and has never seemed happy in the highchair. Frankly, I'd start with the feeding seat and if after using it a while you think you need the highchair, then go buy one - otherwise save your money :). Mine was a $100+ mistake. My daughter has been sitting at a small table and chair set to eat her meals since she was 18MO, so now I don't use either. Best of luck to you...

ct

egoldber
08-19-2002, 07:48 AM
A high chair can be nice for a few reasons. In the early days when you are spoon feeding them, it's easier on your back to not have to lean over. A high chair also keeps the mess contained to the high chair instead of it also being on your chair and table. Also, the booster type seat type high chairs don't fit some chairs well, so it may be unstable. The trays on these are also relatively small.

Also, when Sarah was younger, I would put her in the high chair (which has wheels) give her a few toys and wheel her around the kitchen with me while I did dishes, folded laundry, unloaded the dishwasher, etc. I have found it to be very useful.

I would look at a consignment stores for high chairs. I saw mine (which retailed new for $200 but I got it as a hand me down) at one for $40.

HTH,

mary b
08-19-2002, 08:12 AM
I agree with Beth, I also have had friends that skip the high chair and just get the booster seat, but having the high chair has worked out really nice for us. I find now that my daughter is on the move, having the high chair for containment is very important sometimes!

cara1
08-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Love the feeding seat from 1st years. cheaper, more convenient, and safer, in my opinion. not that high off the ground. really portable, too; i've taken it to restaurants and my dad's. and cheap enough (29.99 at BRU) that we bought a 2nd for my mother in law's house. i have it on a kitchen chair, and we move it around the kitchen/dining area wherever i want ds to be. he loves it. no hunching over to feed him; depends how high chair is. no mess on the table; it has its own tray. can't recommend it enough. try it, you can always get a high chair later.