PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Suggestion

wen
08-23-2002, 06:04 AM
I've been using Dr. Brown's bottles with considerable success for my 6 month old baby. However, now that she's approaching the time when she'll hold the bottle herself, I don't think Dr. Brown's will cut it (because she has to hold the bottle so that formula does not go inside the tube in the bottle).

So, does anyone have suggestions for which bottles are best for when babies hold their own bottle? Thanks!

Melanie
08-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Not all babies hold their own bottle, and some don't recommend it anyhow for a few reasons: The parents may not notice if the baby is choking on it or having a problem b/c they may not be right there with them. Someone is no longer holding the baby while it is being fed, so that cuts down on bonding time. Suddenly I can't remember the third (not enough sleep)...I'll post if it comes to me. Of course some babies just insist on holding their own bottles.

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
08-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Sarah CAN hold her own bottle, but has ZERO interest in doing so. She'd much rather I do all the work. I would wait until your baby actually demonstrates a desire to hold the bottle before switching.

HTH,

suzska
08-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Evan was the same way (FWIW, we were using Gerber bottles). He probably could hold his bottle, and would for a few seconds or more, but would really rather we held it. It wasn't until we switched to sippy cups (almost "cold turkey") at 12 months that he showed an interest in holding what he was drinking out of. Now he's a pro with a sippy cup! Some day we'll think about a "real" cup--he stills throws the sippy cups off the tray every now and then, so something without a lid (or not spill-proof) is out of the question because I don't feel like cleaning up spilt milk! LOL!

joodyjr
08-23-2002, 04:06 PM
We had the best luck with Johnson's Healthflow. He liked that better than Avent. He liked Dr. Brown's but I found them a pain to clean. I did like that they cut the bubbles, but he was drinking breastmilk so we didn't have a problem with gas that much to warrant the work of cleaning the Dr. Brown's, :)

rachelfran
08-24-2002, 07:11 PM
i used dr. browns only for the first 3 months - when i thought the "colic" was over i switched to avents..I thought the Dr. Browns were also a pain to clean and no longer necessary..

i thought max would never hold his own bottle but he's finally started to at about a year... he had done it before that so I knew he "could" do it - just didn't want to - Even now, i will let him hold his bottle but I still want to hold him when he has it... it's good snuggle time and I don't want him running around with a bottle in his mouth - it's not safe...

The only time it really comes in handy is if we are out and I want to give him a bottle while in the stroller... (not laying flat, btw). He also now holds his cup w/water or juice.

JMTCW

caroliner
08-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I am using the Dr. Brown's now with my 2 month old, and have tried to switch her to Avents a couple of times. She seems to get quite gassy with the Avents. I really want to switch eventually since the Avents are just easier and the 8 oz. Dr. Brown's, which we are not yet using but probably soon as she is routinely taking more than 4 oz. per feeding, just seem so enormous!!! Did your baby have a hard time making the switch to Avents? The nipples are such different sizes from Avent than Dr. Brown, and I am thinking that might bother Caroline. Any suggestions on making the switch?