PDA

View Full Version : What size Avent nipples do I need to register for? Avent sterilizer-worth the money?

kathsmom
08-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Hi, everyone! I need to know what size of Avent nipples to register for. Should I start out with the newborn or just go ahead and get the 1+ month size? I went ahead and registered for 2 packs of newborn and 1 pack of the 1+ month size (my mom and I both bought 1 pack each of the 1+ month size). I can change my registry at BRU once I get some feedback from all of you.

My SIL graciously donated all of her Avent bottles (both 4 and 8 oz sizes)to me, so all I need to get are the nipples. Of course, DS will probably hate the Avent bottles, since I got them for free (LOL)!!

Also, is the Avent microwave sterilizer worth the money? Will I use it longer than 1-2 months? I don't want to have to sterilize his bottles like I did with DD's - in a big pot of boiling water, using tongs to remove them.

Thanks for your help!
Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby Andrew (yes, we finally named him!!) on the way (9/30/02)

HOBSON725
08-25-2002, 08:31 PM
I use(well...actually DD uses them...LOL) AVENT bottles and DD has had no problems with them. I used the newborn(1 hole) nipples up until DD was about 4 months old. I gradually got her using the 2 hole nipples(I guess that's the 1m+ nipples) when she was 6 months old. Now she uses the 3 hole nipples. I would actually register for all sorts of sizes of AVENT nipples...it won't hurt! And,if your DS decides against the AVENTS then you can return the unopened packages. About the sterilizer,I registered for one but didn't recieve one. I decided not to purchase it myself b/c I didn't want to pay for it!LOL I sterilized the "old fashion" way of boiling water in a pan,etc,etc. I just wash the bottles,nipples,etc in hot water and use dish soap in the sink. Maybe 3 times a month,I will "send" the bottles and nipples,etc through the dishwasher. My pediatrician told me that the sink is just fine to use but just to be sure to sterilize before the first use. It would be nice to have the microwave sterilizer sometimes for toys,etc.
Just register for all sorts of things you would like to get! Congratulations on your baby!

rachelfran
08-26-2002, 08:00 AM
we also used the newborn nipples for a really long time... i think over 6 months - before we realized - hey- maybe we should get a bigger nipple - so we went from newborn to 3 holes and at a 13 months - we are still using 3 holes and now contemplating when to stop bottles altogether...

i got the steam sterilizer at my shower and we used it everyday .. i resold it on ebay - so it was worth having!

HTH

Shirale
08-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Hi Toni,
Love the name Andrew! I use the steamer all the time, it is def worth it, and wasn't too expensive. For sure put it on your registry. its good for passifiers too. In terms of the nipples, my daughter is actually still suing the newborn Avent nipple...she didn't like the other ones, and she is over 8 months! it just takes longer to get out, and she seems to like that better, she chokes on the other ones. But, maybe we'll try again at 9 months...Every baby is different, so it is prob best to get both 1 and 2 just to have on hand!

ct
08-26-2002, 12:30 PM
I too would recommend registering for a variety of nipple sizes - you'll probably have to get them anyway, and if you are registering at BRU you can return them if you never use them. I too am a big fan of the microwave sterilizer. Worked like a charm, easy to store as you can cram it anywhere without having to worry about breaking anything on it (like the electrics), and I think I got it for only $20-25 at Baby Depot so it shouldn't be too expensive. Best of luck to you...

ct

laura_winckler
08-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Ok, maybe we weren't very careful, but I didn't have a sterilizer and just washed everything in the dishwasher. That seemed to work fine. We also washed pacifiers and several different types of plastic toys in the dishwasher.

As for nipples, at least register for the newborn and 1+ size. I don't think that we ever moved up from there, but we used bottles infrequently and I just forgot all about it. I would also register for the cup handles and sippy cup valves that you can attach straight to your Avent bottle. They are very handy at around 5-6 months. Also, if you think you might pump breastmilk with a Medela pump, register for conversion kits so that you can attach the bottle straight to the pump. You have to have 2 kits if you have a double pump.

Bottom line: register for everything! You can always return stuff! ;-)

suzska
08-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Toni,

We didn't use the Avent bottles (DS liked Gerber), but I did have the microwave sterilizer. One time of burning myself while pulling something out of the pot on the stove with tongs was enough for me! I also liked that I could load up the sterilizer, put it in the microwave, and go back to sleep! Something you can't do with a pot on the stove! The bottles stay sterilized for 3 hours if you don't open it up. Sometimes it would sit in the microwave longer than that, but I figured they were still "clean," so I didn't worry too much.

Here's another product you can get based on "my recommendation." ;-) LOL!

Andrews Mom
08-26-2002, 10:09 PM
I also like the microwave sterilizer a lot. It's very easy to use. I would just be careful about what kind of toys, etc. you put in because some do melt (although they didn't damage the sterilizer at all.

As for the nipples, we've pretty much followed Avent's guidelines. DS (Andrew :) ) is 5 months and we are currently using the 3+ size nipple. We switched to 1+ when he was a month old because he seemed to be getting frustrated with the newborn nipple/slow flow. The same at 3 months. I didn't even think about registering for nipples but wish I had so I didn't have to get them myself. Oh well.

Good luck!

Mindy

kathsmom
08-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Thank you for the information, ladies!! I have never used Avent bottles before. I went ahead and registered for more of the newborn nipples and will probably register for more of the 1+ month size.

I may go ahead and get the Avent microwave sterilizer myself, especially since I recall it being about $25. I would register for it, but I am trying to keep the few items I register for as cheap as possible. I was just told late last week that the ladies in my Sunday School class are giving me a shower on 9/3/02. I was not expecting a shower from anyone, so I didn't register for anything until this past Sunday. Also, a lot of the ladies are SAHM's and some don't have a lot of extra cash to be spending major dollars on me with the way the economy is going.

Sue, I just want you to know that because solely of your recommendation, I am going to get the Avent sterilizer. I hope this doesn't put TOO much pressure on you!! (LOL!!!).

I hope you ladies have a wonderful night and thank you for posting. BTW, I have an ultrasound this Friday morning to determine how much baby Andrew weighs. Apparently, he is getting to be pretty big. All those jokes my husband made about having a 10-12 pound son may be coming true!! Wish me luck!

What does FWIW stand for?

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby Andrew (edd 9/30/02)

egoldber
08-27-2002, 08:43 AM
FWIW = for what it's worth

Also, you may consider registering for some larger ticket items. Sometimes people like to go together and get one big thing, thinking you are more likely to buy small things for yourself, but perhaps not a big thing. It's always good to have a range of prices available on a registry.

HTH,

jenfed
08-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Yep...my office and my husbands office both chipped in to get things like the high chair and playpen. Register for what you want, and if you don't get it, no big deal. Also put don't the medium and fast flow nipples, as eventually you will need them.

I have the sterilizer also and use it every day. Even though my dd is almost a year old and we really don't *need* to sterlize bottles...I figure that since I have it, I might as well use it. I hand wash the bottles anyway, so putting it in the sterilizer just takes a minute.

joodyjr
08-30-2002, 04:26 PM
I didn't use bottles that often until I went back to work and pumped which meant cleaning bottles every night. I got sick of it and just used the dishwasher. I guess breastfeeding spoiled me and I'm very glad I don't have to worry about it with DD due in Oct. *I did check with pediatrician and researched online about dishwasher vs. sterilizing and it's just not the big deal it was back when I was a baby, guess it's a personal oppinion thing mostly!*

jal
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
We live in an area with HARD Water, and boiling stuff for the length of time specified in the instructions left hard water stains on everything that had to be wiped off after sterilizing it.

For the price, the sterilizer (along with distilled water @ < $1 per Gal) is great. No more hard water stains, and using only 7oz. of water per use, that gallon of distilled water goes a long way.

Additionally, the sterilizer is convenient like the others said, and you don't have to worry about losing small parts in the dish washer (like that white little disk in the Avent breast pump).

sarsah
09-16-2002, 08:36 PM
My son (now 28 months old) only used the Avent newborn nipples all the way to 10 months when he went to a sippy cup. We didn't have any problems with only using the newborn ones.

I also used the Avent microwave sterilizer. My dishwasher has a sterilize setting, so I used that most of the time, but the microwave sterilizer was good for times when the dishwasher wasn't full and I didn't want to run it 1/2 full.

To be honest with you, I really didn't worry too much about my son's bottles being 'steralized', as long as they were washed between uses.

Sarah....

kathsmom
09-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Ladies,

Thank you for all the information about the Avent nipples and Avent sterilizer. After changing my registry to include more nipples and in more sizes, NO ONE who came to my showers bought anything off my registry!! LOL!! I was able to exchange some stuff my mom had already bought that people gave me duplicates of, and I got some nipples with the store credit at BRU. My mom is returning 2 Carters crib sheets that we bought that don't fit our 6" thick mattress and I am going to use that credit to get the Avent sterilizer.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

BTW, I am scheduled for an induction on 9/23/02 and am supposed to be on bedrest, except for meals, showers, and the bathroom. I am going to post on the Baby Bargains Lounge forum about inductions, so if you have any advice, please let me know!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (scheduled for 9/23/02)