PDA

View Full Version : Using a play pen as a travel crib?

wpainter
09-06-2002, 01:59 PM
We're expecting our first baby, and I'm trying to decide what will be the best solution for a travel crib. We will usually be visiting family members within driving distance (we rarely fly anywhere), so our biggest priorities are:

1. Something that's easily portable (but it doesn't necessarily have to be the most compact item out there)

2. Something that's functional and can be used until our child is ready to go from baby bed to either floor/sleeping bag, or regular bed.

3. Something that maximizes our money.

I originally thought we'd get one of the Evenflo port-a-cribs, which we'd probably keep in the closet and only use for travel to grandmas' houses. But then I thought we'd get one of the Pack-n-Play type playpens, and I notice that most of those have a bassinet attachment. But I wonder -- are those playpens safe for sleeping in by infants and older kids who have outgrown the bassinet stage? Assuming that we used the pack-n-play size sheets and kept the playpen free of toys and blankets (or anything else that could be a suffocation hazard), is it a good idea or bad idea to use the playpen for sleeping for an older infant?

I am trying to decide between two Graco Pack-n-play models. One has the bassinet attachment, but the play area itself is smaller than that of the other model, which has the bigger play area, but no bassinet attachment.

Part of my confusion here is that I don't really know how old our child will be once he maxes out the weight limit on the bassinet, nor do I know at what age it's safe for a kid to start doing the sleeping bag thing. Any advice is appreciated!!

suzska
09-06-2002, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure I can help much, but I can tell you that the portable cribs that they used at Disney World when we were there in January were just a "cheaper" version of the pac-n-play I have. They were still Graco, and set up the same way, but seemed to be made a little "flimsier" (read: abused by many families that probably don't have one at home and don't know how to set it up) than the one I have. The one in our room leaned a little to one side, but DS slept in it just fine. DS was ~10.5 months old when we were there. If we go back this January, he'll probabaly sleep in one again.

If you decide to get one with the bassinet, please listen to everyone else when they say to get one with at least the 3/4 bassinet, if not the full bassinet. I got the one with the 1/2 bassinet, thinking I would just take the bassinet part outside with me (because it could be used separately). I never did. I couldn't bring myself to set DS directly on the ground in the bassinet. We did use it inside, in the pac-n-play, but never really used it separately. DS was on the small side, so we did get to use it a little longer than most parents. But as with a lot of things, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten one with the full bassinet. I never used any sheets with ours. When he was in the bassinet, we just put a light receiving blanket under him. The pac-n-play's can be heavy, but I know at least ours folds up into a carrying bag.

As for sleeping bags, I don't know. But I would say not before they're 3 years old or so. I wouldn't put my son in one yet.

brubeck
09-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Whenever we travelled we used a Pack N Play for our daughter to sleep in. Babies are meant to nap in there, I can't see why it wouldn't be safe for spending the night.

However we have not done this since she was 16 months old because we haven't really travelled with her since then.

dd_ani
09-06-2002, 05:34 PM
We used our pack-n-play for our daughter to sleep in for about 4 months. It was great because, with the bassinette, she was right next to the bed at night. Then she used it at grandma's every day all summer.

I agree, get the full bassinette. The only caution is the type of bassinette. Graco apparently has two types, one which attaches by rods to the corners and one which has plastic sections that snap over the sides. We ended up with one of each -- we bought a second pack-n-play to use at home since Grandma has our first one. The kind with the rods is very stable and secure. The plastic snap on type seems much flimsier and let the bassinette kind of slope toward the center, which I did not feel was as safe. Of course, there is no way of telling which kind you are getting from the package (We bought ours from the same store about one month apart).

Michelle

luvbeinmama
09-06-2002, 06:13 PM
We've been using the Pack N Play, and DS (who is about average height) has just now outgrown it (over 2 1/2 yrs old). It is wonderful for travel. Now we will use it for #2 (due via cs in less than 6 weeks!!!). We don't have the bassinett attachment, and never worried about it.

megsmom
09-06-2002, 07:58 PM
I think the Pack and Play by Graco has worked great for us with travel. It folds up easily in a little travel bag and later can be used as a playpen for when you need to put little crawling junior down while you bring in the groceries, make dinner, take a shower, etc. I got a full-size bassinet with mine and used it until Meg was the 15 pound limit (she was 3-4 months old). After that the mattress just goes on the bottom of the crib and the bassinet in the closet. Some of my friends are even still using the changing table feature, though my daughter is too roly-poly now. She doesn't seem to mind the smaller play area (vs. a large playpen) and the bassinet feature was nicer on my back when she was littler (now she can stand up to be picked up from the bottom so not so bad).

I think it is just fine that older babies sleep in the bottom since its a nice firm surface. Meg has slept in it on several overnights and has never had disrupted sleep. Some moms have reported babies not sleeping as well in a pack and play so no guarantees with your wee one (unfortunately no guarantees about a lot of things! :) LOL) I would recommend a new model though since models over 2 years ago may have some of the recalled size rails which collapsed.

I guess I hadn't thought about when your little person moves to a sleeping bag, but I guess that might be when they are regularly sleeping in a bed????? Not at that stage yet so don't know. :)

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

ct
09-07-2002, 03:29 PM
My DD was one of those babies who wouldn't/couldn't sleep in her pack 'n play. We had the 1/2 bassinet which was good enough for us and she did nap fine in that (we had a full size bassinet upstairs for nighttime until we put her in the crib). We tried using the pack 'n play on vacations and grandma's house when she was a bit older and she just wouldn't sleep in it. However, it's probably my fault because I think that when she was younger I should have put her for naps in it on occasion to get her used to it. Unfortunately I never thought to use it at home for her to sleep in - I would suggest that if you plan on using this as a travel sleeping place that you get your child adjusted to it at home first, maybe you'll have better luck than I did :). Best of luck to you...

ct

egoldber
09-07-2002, 09:58 PM
I like the PNP as a travel crib. But I must say that my DD does NOT sleep as well in a PNP as she does in a crib. It's not a huge deal, but she only gets about 8-10 hpurs of sleep in a PNP vs 12 hours in a crib.

HTH,

ecarley
09-09-2002, 06:57 PM
We use our pack n play every time we travel with our 13 month old. She sleeps pretty well in it, and it's nice not to have to roll the dice with whatever a motel would give us.

The bassinet limit on ours was 15 pounds, which was about 6 months old for our baby. But the more important limit is the baby shouldn't be moving around (rolling or sitting up) while in the bassinet. Once they get squirmy, they should be sleeping on the bottom.

sarsah
09-16-2002, 08:33 PM
We had a Graco 3-Way Pack & Play (playpen with full bassinette & changing table) for our son (now 28 months old) and my bought a 2-Way Pack & Play (playpen & changing table) to keep at her house.

My son slept in the Pack & Play at 24 months and he was way too big for it. Granted, it's over the 100th % for height, but he could climb out of it without a problem. I don't think it was very comfortable for him either because he didn't want to sleep in it (he was still in his crib at home). At 18 months, he could almost get out of it too, but was more apt to 'falling' out as he would try to flip over the side.

I guess it will really depend on how large your child is, but don't count on having your child sleep in a Pack & Play past age 2.

Sarah.....Jason's Mommie