PDA

View Full Version : Pacifeeder-Have any of you tried this or heard of it

mama2be
09-17-2002, 07:08 AM
I saw this on the web yesterday and have never heard of it...any feedback out there, the price seemed right for gifts etc...

http://www.mybabystroller.com/Accessories/pacifeeder.htm

egoldber
09-17-2002, 12:47 PM
This is in essence a bottle propping tool. Bottle propping is not recommended for many reasons, including increased incidence of dental caries (when your baby gets teeth) and ear infections. Also, and most importantly, using bottle propping decreases mommy/daddy and baby bonding time.

The only time I can think of where something like this would have been useful is when we were flying out of a busy airport and we were going through a VERY long, fast moving security check in and Sarah decided she was hungry NOW! Trying to push the stroller, hold her bottle and get out all my stuff for the security check point was a juggling act.

HTH,

mama2be
09-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Oh my goodness I have so much to learn...I'd never have guessed that it could be bad...thanks for the feed back!!!

Shirale
09-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Little babies could also choke if left to feed themselves unattended. My daughter began holding her own bottle at around 41/2-5 months. Good luck!!!!

Actormom
09-18-2002, 08:46 AM
I have six kids including a set of twins. Mothers of twins prop bottles quite often out of necessity. While I don't reccommend extended propping or propping in the middle of the night, I know from experience that there may come a time where you need to prop a bottle. In the grocery store with a small baby reclined, in the car, or while you are tending to some chore that must be done ASAP, etc. You can easily put baby in a position to be supervised while the bottle is propped. Most people prop the bottle with a blanket and that can be more dangereous as the blanket can get up around the babys mouth and nose. I think it comes down to common sense. In a every now and then situation, these bottle proppers come in handy. (and there are many different types out there. We like the "proppy", it looks like a mini boppy weighted with sand).

Melanie
09-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Feeding, even if bottle- and not breast-, is an essential bonding time for parent & baby. When you use a device such as this, you are removing that time. I think that if your situation does not necessitate it, I would try to avoid such things all together.

Mommy to Jonah

mama2be
09-18-2002, 11:49 AM
I get slightly confused by all of this...becasue this "Propper" looks as if it would be used for children who normally whould be carryign their own bottle (not really baby babies)...it just props it up and they are not throwing it all across the room/ on the floor (like I just witnessed for 2 hours with my friend at the peditrician office)...the guilt of not bonding with my child wouldn't have donned on me if the baby held the bottle to their mouth so I don't think I would be bothered if it was attached to the stroller (which is the scenerio I imagine if I purchase it)...

AHHHH... I don't have children yet...and really have not been around them much so I am the first to say I have a lot to learn!!!!:) and glad we have this forum to get advice from :)

I was curious to hear back from folks who might have tried this product if there are any...

candybomiller
09-18-2002, 02:18 PM
Neve,

When I looked at this product, my first thought was, huh, seems like a good idea. I think that there are definitely times that something like this would come in handy (such as 6:30 this morning when Matt was hungry and his mama was being sick in the bathroom!)

I think as long as it isn't your primary method of feeding baby, it would be convenient to have at certain times.

Just my two cents worth.

Candy
-SAHM to Matthew Nicholas, born 5/22/02

ecarley
09-19-2002, 07:28 PM
One word: Bacteria! That tube looks impossible to clean. Short of boiling it after every use, I don't think you could be assured that every bit of milk, juice, or formula was cleaned out of it. That could make for one unhappy baby :( And two unhappy parents!

I could see where it could be handy for occasional use. But I don't think I could think of very many occasions!

Actormom
09-20-2002, 02:25 AM
I think you would clean the tube the same way we clean the tubes on the breast pumps. I wash with hot soapy water, rince and dry by swinging it over my head. Works well : )

I do think these bottles are designed to be used only occassionally.

cara1
09-20-2002, 07:18 AM
you wash your tubes on the breastpump?

jra
09-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Not all breastpumps have tubes that need to be washed, it depends on what you have. I had the Ameda purely yours and the tubing did not need to ever be washed with that one.

Jennifer

cara1
09-20-2002, 08:14 AM
I have the PIS. I don't see the point of washing the tubes, although I have a vague recollection that the instructions say you should. No milk gets in the tube, so what's the purpose?

Actormom
09-20-2002, 09:09 AM
You are both correct, of course! One only needs to wash the tubes if milk gets inside. (even though serious die hards insist you actually wash them often anyway) I have both the Purely Yours and the PIS and somehow have gotten milk into both at one time or another. I know on the PY it was when I dropped something, bent over to pick it up forgetting what I was doing and milk did get in the tubes. The PIS is easier to actually get the milk in there. It has only happened a few times but someone told me how to wash and dry them once and it works.