PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Bauer Cosco Playard - good or bad??

emilys
09-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi, I just registered for the Eddie Bauer (Cosco) Playard because the book didn't actually grade the playards, all the playards looked so similar to me, and I like the solid color best. (Please note that color is NOT my criteria for crib, car seat, stroller, highchair, etc., in fact I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I liked the blue and it seemd to have the same basic features.) The few reviews on BabiesRUs.com are so positive, but I'm thinking I should switch to a Graco model on the registry before someone buys it for us. Any positive or negative reviews on the Eddie Bauer? Safety is my biggest concern, then I suppose ease of use, weight, etc. Thanks! ps. first baby due in December :)

suzska
09-25-2002, 02:11 PM
I can't comment on the Cosco playard specifically. But personally, since Cosco has had so many problems with recalls and such for other products, I just stear clear of anything they make. Hopefully someone around here has experience with their playard. I have the Graco/Century one. My only piece of advice (which I didn't listen to when someone gave it to me), is if you get one with a bassinet, make sure it's at least a 3/4, if not the full, bassinet. DS wasn't necessarily on the tall side, but he did outgrow the 1/2 bassinet before he reached the weight requirement and was rolling over. He would nap in the bassinet downstairs, and we could have used it longer if we didn't have the 1/2 bassinet. I got that one because I figured I could carry the bassinet outside (because that one could be used separately from the pac-n-play). I did that all of ZERO times! I didn't want to set the bassinet directly on the ground. And because of where we kept the pac-n-play, and our hallway, etc. leading to the back door, it wasn't practical to wheel the whole thing outside.

momathome
09-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Last year, Consumer Reports reviewed travel yards and gave Cosco their worst rating for safety. I think it had something today with the side of one they tested breaking when very little pressure was put on it. They rated the Graco's pretty well - they've been around a long time and I can't think of a person who has one who has had a major problem with it. I have the Graco Pack 'n Play with bassinet and I love it! Definitely go with one where the bassinet runs the full length of the travel yard - some of them are just little pop-in inserts that are small and only go the width of the crib - babies tend to outgrow this type fast. Good luck!
-Lauren

emilys
09-28-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks to the repliers. I have changed my registry -- no more Eddie Bauer/Cosco and now I'm registered for (or will ultimately buy) a Graco Pack n Play with the full length bassinet. Of course I CAN'T make the choice on the cute Eddie Bauer solid color alone... satety first! Thanks again for responding and the advice.
-Emily

IansMom04
10-03-2002, 09:17 PM
I personally would not buy ANY Cosco products... I would not trust them with the safety of my child for any product that they make. They have been fraught with problems and quality issues. You could not pay me eough money to buy their stuff.

KathyO
10-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Ditto here. And what makes it worse is that their automatic response to any problem seems to be deny, deny, deny, and blame the user. From what I've seen, they won't revisit a design or issue a recall unless the gov't grabs them by the scruff of the neck and forces them to. And they rarely, if ever, apologize for injuries and deaths.

No Cosco (or Safety 1st, or Eddie Bauer, or Dorel) products for us either.

K