PDA

View Full Version : Faster Flow Nipple Needed?

daisymommy
10-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Joshua (who will be two months this Friday...Oh my gosh how time flies!), is using the Evenflo Ultra bottles, which we do love. We have been using the Stage 1 slow flow nipples with great success. He has been taking 4-5 oz. every two hours (little chunk!), and it takes him 10-15 minutes to down a bottle. Now all of a sudden, he will only take 2 oz., he seems disinterested and lazy, and it takes forever to get a full feeding out of him. Could it be that even though Stage one nipples are for 0-3 months (for Evenflo and almost all bottle companmies), and Josh is only two months, that he is ready for a faster flow nipple? I have no idea how you know, other than age, if your child is ready for a faster nipple. I thought as they got older, they sucked harder and were more effecient eaters, and thus get get more out of a slow flow nipple even faster...not the other way around. Any suggestions?

TxSandMom
10-09-2002, 07:11 AM
Yes, it sounds like he is ready for a faster flow nipple. If he is getting tired during feeds and he is taking less, try a faster flow. You can always switch back! If you use a faster flow and he seems to dribble a whole bunch and that doesn't seem to be slowing down (the dribbling), then go back to slow flow.

My twins were taking 3 ounces in the hospital prior to discharge. Now that they're home, we're LUCKY if they take 3. Sometimes they take simply 1½ and others up to 4. Remember... YOU don't eat the same amount every meal, so don't expect the baby to, either. Look at the quantity of intake more over the entire day or two days instead.

egoldber
10-09-2002, 08:39 AM
I switched Sarah to a faster flow nipple at 3 months. It really just depends on your baby.

HTH,