PDA

View Full Version : How do I warm a bottle when we're on the road?

gigipie
10-21-2002, 04:23 PM
I just switched to formula. I have numerous cold packs to keep my son's milk bottle fresh but he doesn't drink cold milk, so I need to heat it up. Is there anything out there that can keep it fresh & warm? Or what other suggestions do any of you have? I thought about taking powder and water along, but again the issue of warm water comes up.
thanks
Trish

blnony
10-21-2002, 05:59 PM
There are portable bottle warmers. I've seem them online, but can't remember exactly. I also think BRU has some.

camommy
10-21-2002, 11:28 PM
BRU has the portable bottle warmers..Good luck

megsmom
10-22-2002, 01:38 PM
I found the best success with powder and water mixed up right before the feeding. I also used ready to feed at room temp (though less of this since it was more expensive). My baby would take a room temp bottle just wasn't too crazy about cold ones from the fridge. The portable bottle warmers for the diaper bag (made by Prince Lionhart) and the one for the car don't really warm a bottle very well at all and take a long time (especially if it's cold one from the fridge). One thing I would do if I knew my dd would be eating within the hour was warm the bottle up just a smidge warmer than normal and take it along. I wouldn't keep it around any longer than an hour though for fear of spoilage.

One thing I did was to gradually warm the formula less and less so my dd learned to be a little flexible on the road.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

gigipie
10-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas and information. It's just new to me since that was once issue I didn't deal with when breastfeeding.

Trish :)

bonbon98
10-24-2002, 08:25 PM
I actually bought 2 of the bottle warmers from BRU and I had to return them. It took forever and a day to warm up the bottles and then they weren't even that warm. I ended up buying a small Thermos bottle to tote my warm water around. It's working out pretty well for now!

daisymommy
10-24-2002, 09:29 PM
I second that experience with the bottle warmers. I bought the Dex car warmer that plugs into the cigarette lighter-took 30 minutes to really heat up, meanwhile Josh is screaming his head off. The Prince Lion Heart one where you bend the capsule, which heats up the bottle "wrap" in the pouch never got hot enought to heat up a bottle, no matter how long you left it in there (useless!) So I had to return them both. Now, wherever I am, I get a cup of hot tea water and put the bottle in it for a few minutes. Most every store has a little cafe/food court and they are only too happy to do something for your cute little baby.

KathyO
10-24-2002, 10:39 PM
I've used the powdered formula while on the road. Haven't found a restaurant or coffee shop yet that refused to fill the bottle for me. I ask for half hot water and half cold, and have always ended up with something right at the right temperature. If we're going to be REALLY far from civilization, then a thermos of warmed water works.

KathyO

cazad
10-25-2002, 11:48 PM
Trish,

I had the same problem and after buying 3 different bottle warmers that didn't work, I gave in and just bought a small thermos. It worked until I got her weaned from warm formula. The problem was, I needed to have the formula settle somewhat because it was so sudsy when it was fresh-made and it gave her gas.

You cannot keep it in there too long though, and you have to make sure it is very clean. I found a brush at Bed, Bath and Beyond that cleans bottles better than actual bottle brushes because it was longer and stiffer so it was perfect for my thermos. If you are going to be flying, they might give you a hard time if the interior of the thermos is glass, so find one lined with something unbreakable just in case. In all, I would say it lasted about 4 hours before it started smelling a little sour. It was much easier to get it cooled down than it was to warm up.

I never had a problem in restaurants getting them to fill it with lukewarm water either. You'd be surprised at what people will do for you when you have a baby. Enjoy it while it lasts ;-)

Cherie

jenneric_2000
10-29-2002, 04:23 PM
one way to reduce the suds it to put a couple of mylicon drops in the bottle after mixing....the bubbles disappear right away!