PDA

View Full Version : stocking up on medicine-cabinet type items

smb
11-10-2002, 11:58 PM
It's time for us to stock the medicine cabinet -- first babies (twins) are on the way soon. What types of things have you found to be necessities? (I'm thinking things like cotton balls, over the counter medicines, rubbing alcohol, baby lotion, baby nail clippers, etc.) Any good web sites that have good deals on these types of items?

Thanks in advance.

nohomama
11-11-2002, 10:45 AM
I just went and looked in my bathroom and medicine cabinet and here are some things we've found useful over the past 14 monthes:

infant motrin (DYE FREE) - I'd by generic if I could find it dye free. The dyes in medicine stain...especially when baby does a spit take.
infant tylenol
infant decongestant
gas relief drops
a syringe or meterred eye dropper for giving medicine
digital thermometers - buy a couple and keep one in the bathroom and one near the changing table
homeopathic remedies by Hylands and Boiron - if your interested let me know and I'll tell you specifically what I have.
pediatric glycerin supppositories - my daughter really did have a bought with constipation and we were glad to have these on hand.
cotton pads (instead of balls...less lint) and a spray bottle w/warm water - great for cleaning booboos or a newborn bum.
Tom's of Maine Baby Shampoo
Weleda Calendula Cream
Weleda Diaper Care Cream

HTH,

Rachels
11-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Couldn't agree more! The infant tylenol, Mylicon drops, Weleda Calendula Cream, and Hylands remedies are especially necessary. For soap, shampoo, and lotions and creams, I use the Burt's Bees Baby Bee stuff. They also make a wonderful apricot oil for babies, which I use instead of regular baby oil. It's great for baby massages and for lubricating bandaids so they slip off. If you're planning to breastfeed, also make sure you have olive oil and Lansinoh ointment on hand. Both are great for soothing your nipples as you and your baby learn how to nurse.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
11-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Too true about the Lansinoh. I've forgotten a lot of the things we found indespencable in the beginning. A year can seem like the blink of an eye and an eternity all at the same time. As for oils, for the first few monthes we basted Lola like a turkey. I'm a massage therapist so we just used what I had on hand, which was sweet almond and jojoba oils. Any food grade oil will work though.

kathsmom
11-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Don't forget rubbing alcohol or alcohol pads for the umbilical cord. Also, nasal saline drops (ask your ped. or m.d. for a brand recommendation - I use Ocean brand) and a nasal aspirator (bulb syringe) for those stuffy noises. I use unscented Eucerin lotion for DS. I never use baby oil - just a personl preference. If you are having boys and are getting them circimcised, get a big jar of Vaseline. The hospital gave us enough gauze pads to put the Vaseline on to cover DS's private parts (don't want to be crude here!!) to protect it while it healed. One thing that I have helpful at bathtime is the Johnson & Johnson gentle cleansing cloths. It makes bathtime a little easier.

Good luck!!

Toni

nohomama
11-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Lola was born at home and our midwives had us use powdered goldenseal on her umbilical cord rather than alcohol. It worked like a charm.

The bulb syringe is definately a must have but be prepared. Lola learned to hate it after only a couple of uses. Rather than buy saline drops, we made the solution ourselves (there's a recipe in the Sears Baby Book). It worked fine but we got better results using breastmilk instead. Just a few drops in each nostril cleared up any congestion pretty reliably. I've seen this suggested in a number of books since Lola was young but we got the information out of "The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver" by Claire Martin.

bonbon98
11-15-2002, 01:29 PM
As a side note to the bulb aspirator, the hospital issued bulbs that are too big to use. We got preemie-sized bulbs and they work perfectly to clear up anything.

jojo2324
11-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Too true about breastmilk! DS had some eye troubles those first few weeks, and I would just squirt a bit at him and it cleared up pretty quickly! Initially I thought it was really gross, the idea of spraying milk at his face, but then I wondered why I was more willing to accept the idea of a synthetic antibiotic going in his eyes as opposed to something that was safe enough to consume. It also helped with his baby acne.

And I second the displeasure with the bulb syringe. (DH calls it the snot baster.) I don't mind, but DS sure let us know that he did fast!

ct
11-15-2002, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to mention that you should make sure that you check the expiration dates on any medications you purchase (Tylenol, Motrin, etc.) since you won't (hopefully :)!) be using them right away, you want to make sure they will last you a good while. I recently went to purchase infant acetaminophen at CVS and noticed that the box in front on the shelf was expired so I grabbed a box from the back which expired in a couple of years. By the way, I brought the expired box up to the counter and informed the clerk that it had expired and then watched her toss it into the basket of items to be reshelved. Another reason why I hate shopping at CVS. Best of luck to you...

ct
SAHM to Lilli (9/20/00) & Alec (10/21/02)

megsmom
11-15-2002, 09:22 PM
I would also add some small single serve bottles of an electrolyte solution such as pediatlyte around. I doubt you'd be using this right away with newborns, but one day while you're shopping around, pick some up. It's always good to have in case anybody gets diarrhea/vomiting and you can't get to the store right away. The single serve bottles are better than the big jug because you have to pitch what you don't use in 24 hrs.

I used baby nail scissors vs. the clippers since there was less liklihood of cutting skin accidentally. Most of the baby items you are looking for are cheap enough and at your local Target/Walmart. We went out and bought it all in one big trip. I would also see if you can get a rectal thermometer that reads in 10 sec or so in case you have a squirmy baby (or two!) or one that really hates it. I heard KY jelly was better for lubricating the thermometer but I think vaseline would work as well. One last thing that you will want to have around, though again you won't likely need it for a newborn, is a poison control kit with both activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac. I've used the syrup once, not with my child, but with my husband who drank some bad juice at the airport. Never know when things will come in handy! :)

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

jojo2324
11-16-2002, 01:27 AM
Where did you find scissors? I searched high and low for them with no luck! I have had to use the clippers and I am just awful at it, always nipping a bit of skin. I remember seeing them when I was little, but I just figured they stopped making them because the clippers were deemed safer for some reason.

megsmom
11-16-2002, 11:26 PM
I think in BRU or Target. I guess it's been over a year so I don't really remember but I'm sure it was one of those places. Not a big expense either. It gets even more challenging when your child gets squirmier. Thank goodness for Baby Mozart videos! :)

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

Magda
11-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Try clipping his nails while he is asleep. The only time I've clipped DS was when he was awake.

blnony
11-17-2002, 11:07 PM
Ours came in a little baby manicure kit. I think its called the "hospital choice grooming kit." We registered for it at BRU. It was about 10 dollars I think. But it had the brush and comb and everything in it. We use it a lot. The little scissors are so much easier to use, esp. when DD is sleeping.

jojo2324
11-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Well, my pregnancy fuzz must have prevented me from seeing/finding them! Ask DH! Three weeks before my due date I was rampaging, searching for those blasted scissors! Actually, one of our first trips out with the baby I was looking too. I try to cut his nails while he's sleeping but he's so darn squirmy, and he wakes up so easily, it's really just as difficult. The quest continues! Thanks!