PDA

View Full Version : Christmas presents for 8 month old

Jaybird
12-09-2002, 12:26 PM
My son will be 8 months old soon. He can crawl and stand. He loves musics, lights, and sounds in general. Does anyone have any suggestions for toys that their children have LOVED! I want to get him something that he can truly enjoy and enjoy for as long as possbile.

Sarah, Mom to Jamie

twins r fun
12-09-2002, 12:50 PM
My twins are 13 months old. They have enjoyed the Little Tykes Discovery Sounds Store since about 9 months (there's also a workbench and a kitchen). They really like the shape sorter, opening the door and drawer, and the cash register sounds. The only drawback is that it tipped over when they first started using it to pull up-you could tether it to the wall, though. Their other favorite toy is a big rubbermaid container filled with the little plastic refill balls that go in a ball pit. They crawl in it, throw the balls out, and chase the balls around.

Nicole

mbutler
12-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Go to babycenter.com and choose toys for his age group. There are lots of customer ratings for many of the toys based on a 5 star system. This might give you some ideas of what other parents' opinions are. Of course, it only applies to toys sold by babycenter.com.

Michael

colleenfs
12-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Julia loves the Fisher Price Crawl and Cruise Playground. It's been great for helping her learn to pull herself up. The music is a bit annoying, but you can turn it off!

Colleen and Julia 1-10-02

egoldber
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Sarah also loved this toy (we got it as a gift). It is rather annoying and large, but all kids seem to really like it.

megsmom
12-09-2002, 10:52 PM
My dd loves her discovery sounds kitchen from Little Tykes (it's age appropriate from 9 months). I actually got in on consignment like new for 8 bucks. It entertains her while I am in the kitchen doing stuff and she has recently started "pretending" by stirring things, etc. She also loves the shape sorter on it. As mentioned above, they also make a workshop and store along these same lines.

An activity table where he can stand and play is also good. These are made by all the big toy makers (Chicco, Playschool, Fisher Price) and come with no lights and music to all the bells and whistles. Ours has no frills but my dd loves it all the same and plays with the little pegs almost daily. My dd also loves a cookie jar shape sorter from Fisher Price. Although he's a bit young to be shape sorting, it plays music when you reach inside, press the nose, etc. My dd also loves a Fisher Price bus that is like a busy box. Lately I try not to buy too many noisy toys because after a while both mom and baby need a break from beeping toys! Even so, they sure do love them! :)

By far one of dd's truly favorite activities is reading books. I started reading to her pretty regularly at your son's age and now she is a reading hound. She also is a very active and curious toddler but this is the one activity she sits still for, and even quite happily "reads" books for long periods on her own while I'm cleaning up and such.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

LisaS
12-10-2002, 06:03 AM
The Neurosmith Magic Music Cube - it is a large felt block (large enough that the baby can stand up supporting self holding on to it) that has different activities in each side of the block and it plays music when you turn it. DD loves it and crawls to it and the music is not so annoying b/c it is Motzart, which I happen to like.

Fisher Price Stand Up Ball Blast -- this is seriously fun! Every baby who comes here for playgruop loves this toy. The music does get a little annoying (every time you correctly put a ball in a specific hole and it goes down a ramp to the bottom, it plays music), but she loves it and the balls are fun to just roll around to eachother on the floor.

Push-along ride-on toy. We have the Chicco train which DD loves. IMO, the most important thing to look for in a push-along/ride on for a pre-walker is the hidden seat compartment -- she will entertain herself with that for ages...putting things in and taking them out of the seat compartment. This doesn't have lights or music, but does have a horn that pushes down and makes little balls swivel and 2 side levers that squeak when pulled. Lots of people seem to like the Fisher Price ride on as well.

Tomy Hide-N-Squeak Eggs. These are fantastic - self contained toy b/c it all packs up neatly into its little plastic egg carton. It has a long lifespan -- 3 year olds still find it fun -- its a memory game, matching game, but for a 10 month old, its fun to dump out the eggs and hit them together or make them squeak or just chew on them. Oh, and its a cheap toy, too.

Baby's First Purse. This is the greatest gift we got and we won't leave home without it. As you have a boy, and a purse is not so appropriate (its pink and purple with hearts -- quilted look of a Chanel bag) the options you have are Baby's first lunchbox or baby's first doctors kit) -- it has 5 different toys that shake and open and close and all fit back into itself. The purse has keys, coin purse, cell phone, comb and lipstick -- it can entertain for 40 minutes at a time and is a hit with all of my daughter's playmates, even boys.

Books, books and more books! My DD, 10.5 months, LOVES books. If she sees a book en route to any of these toys, she stops to read it to herself (turn the pages and babble). Favorites are Pat the Bunny Collection (Bunny, Puppy, Cat and Pony) -- anything textured. The publisher DK makes great interactive touch-and-feel books.

webma
12-11-2002, 02:12 PM
My dd loves the Fisher Price Sing Along Puppy. We bought it at six months and she still plays with it daily at 17 months. In spite of the name, it plays just one song (Bingo). When she was learning to walk she pushed it around for hours every day. I bought it from KBtoys but I think amazon sells it too.