PDA

View Full Version : silicon vs. rubber nipples?

LittleApple
12-24-2002, 05:44 PM
I just picked up some nuk nipples for our newborn-to-be and am wondering what the difference is between silicone and rubber nipples?... Any information would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks,
Wendy

cara1
12-25-2002, 02:15 PM
I always worry about potential latex allergies, so I prefer the silicone. But I have nothing to back this up. I think the silicone wears better and goes thru the dishwasher better, though.

kathsmom
12-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Hi, Wendy!

I have the Nuk pacifiers with the rubber nipples, but use the Evenflo sensitive response silicone nipples for the bottles. The rubber nipples don't hold up as well to the high heat of the dishwasher as well as the silicone ones do. In fact, when I run my pacifiers through the dishwasher, they come out looking a little funky in color. DS seems to prefer the nipple shape of the Nuk pacifiers, so the next time I shop for pacifiers, I am going to try to find the ones with silicone nipples.l

Good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Rachels
12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
You can get Nuk pacifiers with silicone nipples. We have several.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
12-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Silicone has little or no taste, where rubber (at least to me) has a strong, disagreeable taste. But, obviously, many babies don't mind it...

It IS true that babies who are prone to developing allergic sensitization can get sensitized to latex through rubber nipples, so silicon is often a better early choice for these kids.

The main problem with silicon is that once teeth come in, silicon is more prone to getting holes chewed it in, and once that happens, the whole nipple end can tear off and be a choking hazard. All this means is that once your baby has teeth, you should visually check his/her pacifiers and bottle nipples regularly for nicks and developing holes. (However, in a year of ferocious gnawing, my toddler daughter has only put a hole in one nipple.)

Cheers,

KathyO

LittleApple
12-28-2002, 11:48 AM
This is so helpful - thanks!!!

daisymommy
12-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Points to Consider:

#1) Rubber nipples shouldn't be put through the dishwasher- they break down very quickly, and become brittle or gummy. However, they breed bacteria quickly if you don't.
Silicone can last almost indefinetly in the dishwasher.

#2) Breastfed babies usually prefer rubber nipples because they feel softer and "more like mom." I used to work in daycare/preschool for 12 years and have found this pretty much to be true of the babies I have cared for.

#3) Some people have "taste-tested" rubber nipples and think they have a bad taste, and that siiclone nipples do not--but once again, refer back to point #2.