PDA

View Full Version : Nipple size for Dr Brown

xiaolun
01-25-2003, 08:04 PM
We're still trying to find "the' nipple/bottle that DD would accept. With Dr Brown, do you follow the manufacture's level suggestions (level 1 for newborn, level 2 for 3 month and more) when choosing the nipples? DD is three and half month old and would not take a bottle. At this point, we don't know how to read her anymore. Since with Avent bottles many people find the newborn size nipples work the best even when they are supposed to move up, I wonder if if you have found this to be true with Dr Brown too. Many thanks.

sbirmantaz
01-25-2003, 09:23 PM
we use dr. browns for our 4 month old and still use the stage 1 nipples. We tried the stage 2, but she had more milk leaking out the edges of her mouth with them, so too fast for her still. You could buy a pack and try it out just to see how she handles them....

caroliner
01-26-2003, 01:53 AM
My 7 month old is still using the level ones with out a problem. In fact, I tried a level 2 again today when she was drinking some water and it was still too fast. I don't think we'll ever use level 2.

juliasdad
01-28-2003, 01:21 PM
We moved up to Dr. Brown's level 2 at about 3 months. At first, I thought it was a mistake because Julia would get too much and choke a bit with almost every bottle feeding, but that stopped fairly quickly. I think it was a combination of her learning to control flow better, and my feeding her in a more upright (or, really, less supine) position as she got older. She'll be 5 months in a few days, and manages a level 2 nipple just fine (and downs 6 ounces of expressed-o fairly quickly!) with no problems going between breast and bottle.

Oh, should have said this earlier; we switched her because she seemed to be getting frustrated during bottle feedings, and I thought that perhaps she wasn't getting milk fast enough.

-dan

mama2be
01-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Hope you see this...she is adorable!!!

pshontz
01-29-2003, 10:42 PM
We still use the size 1 for our daughter (4.5 months). We have tried the stage 2 a few times but the flow seems too fast for her, she chokes on the milk. She seems quite happy with stage 1. Priscilla

Melanie
01-30-2003, 03:32 AM
I went up to size 2 once and Ds drank the entire bottle too quickly and was fussy for more since he was used to sucking alot longer breast. I can't see any reason to size up if you don't want to.

Mommy to Jonah