PDA

View Full Version : Portable Booster Seats

August Mom
01-29-2003, 07:43 PM
I am interested in your experiences with any of the portable booster seats/ feeding seats available. These are the seats that strap on to a regular chair and have their own plastic tray like a high chair. I am thinking that this would be a useful item to take and use at the grandparents' houses and at restaurants (if we ever go out). Two of them that I looked at were the First Years Portable 3-in-1 Booster Seat and the Safety 1st On the Go Fold-Up Booster. Although the Safety 1st looks like it folds more compactly, only the tray is dishwasher safe, while the entire First Years seat is supposed to be dishwasher safe. I am wondering:

Are these booster chairs useful or not?
If they are useful, in what situations have you found them to work well?
Which brand and style would you recommend and why?
Is the entire chair being dishwasher safe important?
What is the age span for using these seats?
Do you think that these booster seats are preferable to the little seats that fasten to tables?
Are there any safety issues I should know about in the use of these seats?

TIA

darebear
01-29-2003, 08:15 PM
I have a 3 in 1 Booster Seat for DS. I bought a highchair and never used it, he has used this since about 9 months. There are 3 different hight settings, although I have only used it on the lowest setting and I also haven't used the tray. DS likes to have his plate on the table, like the adults. My dad and step-mom have a couple of the On the Go Fold Ups for the grandkids and it works well also. They did have a recall on particular version about a year ago, but I assume they corrected the problem.

I prefer these as opposed to the hook on ones, because they don't have a weight limit so they will last longer. And it would not work on our table anyway. DS is 2 1/2 and still uses it. As for being diswasher safe, I normally stick it in the shower to wash it off.

Allison

pamela mom of 3
01-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I like the one by the first years, the dishwasher safe model, it folds easily and the tray is simple to operate and it has a good solid base to sit on the adult chairs. The safety first one doesn't have tray adjustments just one position..plus i have heard it's a bit rocky because it doesn't have much of a base.{i'm speaking of the on the go, fold up style}

Onto your specific Q's...

I do think they are useful, they're great for travel, family visits etc

I used them for restaurants and family visits, plus i have on occasion used them full time in my home.

As i said above, i like the first years, easy to clean and operate, plus just the overall design better than the others i have seen.

Is the entire chair being dishwasher safe important?
Although mine has never been in my dishwasher, i have popped it in my tub and washed it down that way, a good way to keep it nice and clean..fast and simple. So i'll go with i find it helpful.

I would say sitting up till depending on the size of the child, they can be used without the tray to "boost" the child up to the table so they do have a good lifespan, however at about 2/3 yrs the tray starts to get a bit small and snug.

Do you think that these booster seats are preferable to the little seats that fasten to tables?
I do, and i own a type like that, you have a better chance of them fitting, plus some tables offer to much of a "lip" for the hook-on types and/or table tipping risk.

Not that i am aware of, i know a safety first model which is no longer made, they came in red/green/yellow were recalled at one point but i am unaware of the first years models or the current safety 1st model having any recalls.

HTH
:)

Melanie
01-30-2003, 03:30 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact we use them instead of a high chair. We use this one at home and like it a lot! We've never had a need to put the entire chair into the dishwasher, but I suppose you could. (Note: Ds was never into the mushed baby food). I generally hand wash the tray, but you could put it in the DW. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LLQM/qid=1043910770/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_ba_1//103-0717537-2513421?v=glance&s=baby&n=547946

Daily, for space saving. Also, for visiting. Note, the one above does not compact for travel very well.

The one above, but if you are only wanting it for travel then I like this one. It folds for travel and is quite neat. I wouldn't use it everyday b/c the tray is smaller, the chair is overall smaller, I dont think you can adjust how snug the tray is/isn't to the baby, and it's straight up, no tilt for the younger baby. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005QXPE/qid=1043910770/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_ba_2//103-0717537-2513421?v=glance&s=baby&n=547946

I've been using ours since a few months old, and I am still using it at 15 months.

Absolutely! Do you want to bet on someone's table being sturdy, or them wanting you to hook something to it?

You'd want to make sure the belts are securely on the chair, b/c I've noticed a few times Ds getting wild and shaking it. If it wasn't secure, it wouldn't be good.

Mommy to Jonah

MinnieMouse
01-30-2003, 11:15 AM
We have the first years one and love it. Dd is now 18mo and we have kept this in the trunk of our car since she was about 6mo. We use it for travel, restaurants and visting friends and family. I would NOT use this as an everyday chair as food falls between the booster and the chair so it would have to be removed every time to clean. We faced this during a week long visit with family. Not practical at all. But for single time use when out and about this booster shines. I agree that I wouldn't go with a hook on chair...weight limits can be an issue as well as the inability to use it on some kinds of tables.

I can heartily recommend the first years seat. We actually bought the safety 1st one over the holidays to leave at my MIL's house (we only had walmart to work with and the first years one isn't sold there)...and I really didn't like it as much. The tray adjustability was an issue as well as ease of use.

HTH

Christine