PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Activity Tray Worth It?

August Mom
02-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Along with many of you, I'm trying to decide on a high chair for DS and have determined that there is no perfect high chair. We are still considering the Chicco Mamma and I am wondering whether you recommend buying one with the activity tray. Can the chair be used without the activity tray too? Do your kids enjoy the puzzle? Can the removable serving tray be used on the chair without the puzzle in place? As you can see, I've been unable to see the Chicco Mamma with the activity tray in person. So, if you know where I can see one around Columbus, Ohio or Pittsburgh, PA, that would be helpful too. Finally, most of the on-line stores seem to have the Madras pattern. It looks really shiny in the photo. Is it attractive in person? Also, how does the Skyline pattern look in person? Thanks for any help you can provide in my continuing quest for the almost perfect highchair. :)

mamahill
02-03-2003, 06:33 PM
I have the Skyline one and LOVE it - but then I really like the dark grey neutral color (no ducks or rabbit anything over here). As far as the activity tray goes, you can use the tray if the pieces aren't in it. The pieces don't really make a lot of sense. I mean, they're supposed to make a face, but it's kind of lame. But the pieces are a rubbery-plastic that Ainsleigh loves to chew on and throw over the edge one by one. That being said, is it worth the money? I don't know. I think she would be just as happy playing with something else on the tray. However, I find it wonderful to be able to lift off the top tray after a meal and take it over to the sink to hose down, rather than take the entire tray. Plus, the under-tray stays behind and Ainsleigh can continue to play.

Also, if you don't have a Chicco near you, I would hesitate to get it unless you REALLY want this chair. I love mine, and knew I wanted it, but others have been disappointed in the space between the baby and the tray. For us it was great. As I've said before, it is the perfect distance for her Baby Bjorn bib, which I don't think we could live without!

If there isn't that much of a difference in price, I'd say go for the activity tray. If it's a ton different, you could save the money. I'll look around and see if some of the baby sites I frequent are having sales on any in particular, but I seem to recall the activity tray chair running for around $140 about now? Good luck!

mamahill
02-03-2003, 07:05 PM
A couple things - I just realized I have Grey Horizon, not Skyline. Sorry about the confusion. Here's a link for one w/activity tray for $149 and free shipping http://www.babysaurus.com/Chicco2001/mammmaactivity.htm In the picture it looks like the clear tray on top is a clear yellow, but mine is just clear.

Babybazaar.com has a couple w/out the activity tray for $130, but so does BRU. I don't think they have free shipping (a MUST in my book!). Good luck!

August Mom
02-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the free shipping. I HATE paying shipping. I have seen the Chicco Mamma at BRU, just not the activity tray. And, the thing that's giving me pause is the distance between the tray and DS. However, every chair we've looked at seems to have some problem. Hence, our dilemma. BTW, I really like the Grey Horizon pattern -- that's what I've seen at BRU. Does anyone know if Skyline looks similar? It looks similar in the photo (only trimmed in red) but it's hard to tell from a picture.