PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Anyone have Learning Block Books??

atlbaby
02-15-2003, 07:58 PM
I have a bit of a problem here. Arielle has this great box of 26 tiny books called Learning Block Books that she loves. I ordered them from Babystyle.com but I've seen them elsewhere too.
Problem is, she's become veryvery attached to the 'orange' and 'lemon' ones--let's just say although she doesn't have a lovie these 2 books are of the same calibre. She takes them everywhere (orange is her primary :) )
Now they are still in somewhat decent condition but I fear for that day when they become a soggy mush (they are cardboard, albeit thick, afterall) and would like to get a replacement. But I don't want to spend $25 to get 26 books when I only need the 2!! Does anyone have any ideas? If someone has these books I would also gladly exchange 2 other--unattached--books for orange and lemon! I guess I should be happy she loves books...:)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

mama2be
02-15-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm pulling this from a hat...the first thing that comes to mind, and it might not even be an option. But I was wondering if you could go to a fabric store and get some vinyl or even some felt maybe that is orange and make little orange covers for the books...It wouldn't take much money and it might make them more them interesting if more were orange...

Just a quick thought...
I hope someone comes forward with some for you, but just thought this a possible option...

egoldber
02-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, Amazon has them for $18: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811832783/103-2872717-1003815

My other suggestion would be to post on the ParentsPlace Flea Market board. You can post that you are "ISO" (in search of) an item. And keep an eye on Ebay to see if any become available.

Good luck!

nohomama
02-16-2003, 11:47 AM
How about calling the publisher/manufacturer to see if you can buy replacements from them? I know Small World Toys is one toy manufacturer that has a number to call for replacement pieces for their puzzles and toys. I can't imagine you're the only person needing/wanting to replace only one or two books from the larger set. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll have them available but you can try.

atlbaby
02-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Neve, you are a real creative thinker--on the fly no less! :)
If I can't get a replacement somehow I'll try your idea!

Beth, thanks for the flea market board idea--I've never heard of so many of these boards you tell me about, thanks! Btw, I'm going to look for the crayons today before we get snowed in!

And Sarah, I had originally thought of contacting Chronicle Books (the manufacturer) but thought they'd laugh at me, but you're right I may as well give it a shot!

They are wonderful books for anyone looking for ideas to occupy toddlers!

-Rachel

twins r fun
02-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Rachel,

Funny! The things kids pick to get attached to! I've never seen these books before, but looked at the Amazon link and the set looks interesting. Jacob and Caleb don't actually like to read their books-just chew on them, play with them, open them, and love emptying and filling containers! So I'm thinking this might be good for them. Tell me a little more about the books, though. How big are they, are the illustrations good?

Of course, if I decide to order them, I will gladly send you the orange and lemon ones (if you haven't found another way around your problem)!

Nicole

atlbaby
02-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Nicole,

I got these for Arielle when she was about 7 months and kept them in the closet until recently...I'd seen them a few years ago and remembered thinking they were so great!

I would definitely recommend you try these books out with Caleb and Jacob. I don't know if they get annoyed when one is looking at something the other has, but if so these would be great because there are so many of them! Arielle loves to make piles of these in odd places (on bookcase ledges, under/on chairs, on her high chair footrest, on the sofa arm...) so if the boys like to 'organize' things these would be great!

Each book is 2x2 in. so they are perfect for their little hands. Each book has 4 pages. There are 10 books numbering 1-10, color books (orange, yellow (ie lemon), purple, green etc), shapes (circle, oval, rectangle etc) and animals (pets, bugs, farm etc). The illustrations are very cute too. Orange :) for instance has a carrot, leaf, goldfish, and an orange.

Arielle will sit with her box of books and 'read' them for 15-20 minutes at a time! Just be aware that if the boys get into reading, and start to bring you books to have you read them it can be a bit mind numbing to read 4 pictures with the same excitement again and again...I always insist that Arielle bring me 2 books :)

Sorry this is so long--I really love these books!
And I may take you up on the trade if all else fails!

-Rachel

twins r fun
02-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Rachel-

Will they stand up to some chewing? I was reading the Amazon reviews and some people were saying they aren't very durable. Is it not the normal board book cardboard? The size sounds perfect-I think especially Caleb would love to carry those around. His latest thing is toting around two cans of catfood and clapping them together (we get fancy feast so the cans are small-about the same size as the books). He's worse than the cats about coming running when the pantry is opened!

Nicole

atlbaby
02-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi Nicole,

I just checked out some of the Amazon reviews for these and the ABC variation, and I must say I haven't had the poor experience some of the reviewers write about. Arielle has no trouble turning the pages (ours don't stick) and they are still in fine condition (except for her 2 beloved ones...)

As for the chewing, to be honest I kept these in the closet until Arielle seemed to begin to use her hands with books and toys. Of course that's not to say she doesn't enjoy eating her little people or her blocks, but over the past few months her eating-the-toys has decreased. (She also doesn't have as many teeth as your boys though!:) )

But I really don't see her chewing these books, so I don't want to mislead you. However, in my opinion they're made of pretty thick cardboard--a bit thicker than say a board book of Goodnight Moon or Brown Bear. So while Caleb may be able to bite through the corners or the spine I don't think he could totally demolish the books.

Does this help? It does sound like Caleb would love to carry them on his travels!

-Rachel