PDA

View Full Version : Tweezerman Baby Scissors?

etwahl
02-17-2003, 06:26 PM
I have this big fear of cutting off the baby's fingertips (heard it's pretty easy to do!) I've read a few things here and there about the tweezerman baby scissors - apparently they have a slot where the nail goes in. Does anyone have these and can comment? They are $15 or $20 for a kit which includes a clipper.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

C99
02-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Yes, it's easy to do! I just clipped Nate's nails over the weekend and got his thumb in the process -- bad Mommy! -- I have a Safety First pair of clippers with a little magnifying glass on them, too. The nurse who taught my parenting/birthing class recommended using a nail file on baby fingernails. I thought it would be harder, but now I can definitely understand why she said that.

megsmom
02-17-2003, 09:08 PM
I have only ever used baby scissors vs. clippers and never accidentally snipped Meg (despite her huge squirminess). I bought a non-name brand (BRU) I think and they have worked great. Scissors are the way to go esp. for a newborn where they have paper thin nails and you're not too good at it yet.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

petersmom
02-18-2003, 11:17 AM
I've only used the regular baby clippers. The trick is to trim their nails while they are sleeping. Then they are not squirming around.
Good luck
Peter's Mom :7

mamahill
02-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Ok, this may gross some of you out, but I bite Ainsleigh's nails while she's breastfeeding. No chance of clipping skin, and it's pretty cheap! It got to the point where she was so used to it, she would latch on and stick her hand up by my mouth. Most of the time I just kiss it, but occasionally I'll 'trim.' haha.

sweetbasil
02-18-2003, 05:32 PM
When Kellen was little, I'd just file them- I knew a gal who cut her little guy's nails too short and he ended up with an infection, so that made me overly-cautious! Anyway, once he got a little bigger, I used the nail scissors, as it was really easy to snip where I meant to. And now that he's past 2, I usually still use the scissors for the weekly trimmings (I remember when I had to clip his nails every other day as a baby & am so glad they've slowed down!), then I have a pair of baby nail clippers in my purse, for nail emergencies on outings. Usually he'll bring them to my attention, "mommy, my finger is broken...again." Fortunately, no one has ever overheard this in public, or it might be a little disconcerting! :)

bnme
02-18-2003, 10:33 PM
My Mom told me thats how she trimmed my nails aftet I nicked ds on my 1st trimming attempt.

:)

whatever works