PDA

View Full Version : baby wants to sit up, not recline

teddy
02-19-2003, 12:06 PM
I think my 3 month old is tired of her FP Kick and Play bouncer seat. She wants to sit up now and pulls on the toys to pull herself up. Any recommendations on what would make her happy at this stage, where she could sit upright and observe more of what's happening around her? I was thinking a swing might work. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
02-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Colin has been like this since he was a couple of months old, too. The swing works (especially if it has a little bit of recline), so does the high chair (again, if it has a little bit of recline) or a stroller (but it sits lower to the ground).

Colin was playing in his exersaucer by 3.5 months of age; if your DD has good body strength and excellent head control, you should be able to start using a saucer for a few minutes a day very soon, and you can increase the time as she gets better at it.

sweetbasil
02-19-2003, 12:55 PM
DS used the boppy a lot when he was that age- we'd put him in the center, with the curved part behind him, and put toys all around, and he really seemed to like it. HTH!

juliasdad
02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Our experience was that just about when Julia got tired of being reclined, she was ready for her Ultrasaucer. If your child is big enough, I'd give a saucer-type activity center a try.

Also, though, the fact that she's pulling herself up by the toys doesn't mean she's done with the bouncer. It's just the beginning of a new phase, where she's able to interact with the dangling toys more. Just make sure she's strapped in well!

-dan

teddy
02-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Thank you for your input! Target is having a Graco sale, plus with the BRU coupons, I am considering a swing. But I'll investigate the saucer and observe her interaction with the toy bar more closely. Perhaps I am missing something. Thank you :)

milesmom
02-19-2003, 02:58 PM
the swing did not really work for me (he wanted to do more, and the swing felt confining to him I think) ... if you have a really active, observant baby (like mine), the ultrasaucer and the graco bumper jumper might work great ...then by 5 months he was able to crawl a bit and that really made him happy. good luck!

juliasdad
02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
I should have said that as well... at that stage, she lost interest in the swing and didn't enjoy being in it. Our DD has really enjoyed the Ultrasaucer for the last month and we've just started putting her in the bumper jumper as well, which she loves.

-dan

Rachels
02-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Same here! The saucer and the bumper jumper are lifesavers for that "need a bouncy seat" moment!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
02-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Oops - I assumed that you already had a swing! But since you don't, I would recommend against buying one now. We still use ours occasionally - Colin sits in it to watch Baby Mozart - but it was more useful when he was younger. He wants to interact with his environment, not sit and be entertained. Definitely put the money into a saucer instead!