PDA

View Full Version : Silver baby rattles safe?

naynaysmom
02-22-2003, 02:18 AM
I saw someone with one of those silver plated baby rattles today and just loved it! It made a very unique really soft, wind-chime type sound that my baby was absolutely captivated by.
One question though, are these safe? How does one clean/polish these so that they are safe for baby to chew on? I guess I am worried about the baby ingesting traces of the metal or the tarnish that inevitably forms on silver. Any input would be appreciated.
Does anyone know where these are sold?
- Kelly
Mommy to Nathan (7/31/99) and Brendan (4/2/02)

mama2be
02-22-2003, 09:28 AM
I wonder if they were sterling or plated? Plated could chip!!!! I really can't answer question, but have two sterling ones that Tristan will most definitly use...I figure generations of children have put sterling silver cups to their lips so I assume the rattle is OK. But again am not certain. Also just something to think about...it will probably get dings in it from enthusiastic hitting of it against the high chair etc...My baby cup is filled with them. Mom said the first one upset her, but now decades after they mean the world to her. So if you get dings don't worry.

I bought mine at a nice jewelry store, but there is also a silver place that I purchase a lot of silver from called Silver Queen (on line)...I am a sterling, china, tea cup addict (in my employed non pregnancy days)...and if you like sterling they also sell pacifier holders, and a christening shell to use to dribble water over the baby at their Chistening. A keep sake to always have. And of course the cups. One of my favorite huge great priced silver stores is called Rocky's in the country of Virginia...it might be the largest one in the o****ry. BUT I can't find a web site on them...

My rattle will go in a shadow box with Tristan's first little leather shoes, knitted sweater and hat...one day!!!!

Good luck...I know that doesn't answer your "true" question on safety but wanted to add the little I know...:)...

August Mom
02-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I saw a sterling silver dumbbell rattle at Heslop's China & Gifts. It was very nice. If you do an Internet search for "silver rattle" you'll get quite a few hits, including this one:

http://www.surprise.com/occasions/baptism/silver_rattle.cfm

Babycenter used to sell the Empire Silver rattle and professed that it was safe for teething; however, it is no longer available there. BRU on-line carries the same rattle. I don't know whether you could safely use silver polish, though.

If it's just the chime sound that you're after rather than the beauty or heirloom quality of silver, check out the Clutch Cube by Lamaze. It has a very pleasing wind chime sound and is easy for a baby to hold and shake.

HTH

danielleh
02-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi,

I also don't know about the safety of silver polish, but I wanted to add that silver plated items should be just as safe as solid silver ones. Plating is a chemical process that binds the two metals together in a way that the silver layer on top cannot chip off.

HTH,
Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

mama2be
02-22-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't know much about plated items but can say first hand, I purchased a set for 12 of plated silver ware right when I got out of college. I made payments on the set and was thrilled to get it. The night I brought it home silver came off in a sheet from some of the forks. Of course they took them back. I think these were re plated...so i don't know if there is a difference.

I am sure there are different qualities of plating...I'm not expert but can say this happend to me first hand...

danielleh
02-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I am a physicist, so I guess I was thinking about issue a bit too theoretically. If the plating came off in a sheet, the pieces were probably not cleaned properly before they were replated, so you are definitely right that one needs to be more careful with something plated than solid, since there is the added probability of a defect.

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

jojo2324
02-22-2003, 11:42 PM
I don't know diddly about chemicals and stuff like that :), but I used to work in a kids' clothing boutique and we sold loads of rattles, sterling and plated, all the time. We never had one returned for chipping. We primarily sold Empire and Lunt. I believe Empire supplies a lot of sterling stuff for Tiffany's (much cheaper through Empire though!). Just some thoughts! :D

kathsmom
02-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Hi, Kelly!

We have a silver colored rattle for DS and it is pewter. My mom got it for me at Belk department stores - it is made by Elegant Baby. I also saw one in the Lands' End kids catalog for $19. At least with pewter, you get the silver look without having to polish it.

For DD and DS, my SIL gave pewter cups. She had DD's initials engraved on hers and had DS's first name engraved on his. They are both similar in style. I don't think they are actual baby cups. The cards that came with them said one was the "Alabama Julep cup" and the other one was a "Carolina cup". They are baby cup size though. She got them at a nice jewelery store. I got my niece a pewter cup with her initials at Things Remembered at the mall. They might have a pewter rattle too.

HTH and good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

sntm
02-23-2003, 11:12 AM
I can't think of any reason why they would not be safe. People have eaten using silver for years. If the rattle is used (and nibbled on) frequently, you should not have to worry as much about polishing, maybe only once every few months. Just rinse them very very well after polishing and I would think it would be okay. I'll check it out and let you know.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03