PDA

View Full Version : Avent Bottles

esca540
02-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used Avent bottles (4oz. & 9oz.)? My wife received several for her baby shower (baby still not here but expected in the next 2 wks), and now heard a couple times that Avent bottles are terrible because they constantly leak. Is this true??? if so, where and why does the leak occur?? or is this an isolated incident??? Please share your experiences/thoughts!!! Thanks so much.

egoldber
02-26-2003, 10:36 AM
There are two different leaking issues with Avent. One is leaking from around the rim. This is almost always cause by OVER tightening the ring. You need to tighen until it just feels tight and then stop. If you tighten too much, the seal is broken and the bottle leaks. Parents then make the problem worse, because the bottle is leaking, so they tighten it MORE, making the problem even worse. I think this is a strange design myself, but whatever. You can read about this on the Avent website: http://www.aventamerica.com/learningcenter/learning_faq-bottle.asp#b6

A separate problem is babies who, for various reasons, have a hard time with the wide nipple and have leaking around their mouths from the flow of liquid. This is a harder problem to resolve.

But most people use the Avent bottles just fine.

HTH,

bnme
02-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I use have been using Avent bootles on my 7wk old since he was born (I initially was bf and supplementing with formula, but he has been fully on the bottle for 2wks now). I have not had any leaking problems except 2x when I did not have the nipple ring screwed on all the way. Sometimes when you take the dome cap off it losens the ring becuase it is a little tough to take the cap off. I think other people have commented that it leaks around the nipple, which is different, and I have not had that happen. I read a tip, I think on the boards a while back, that if you assemble the nipple/ring while wet you won't have a leaking problem and that is what I do and I haven't had any problems. It may have also been on Avents website.

I use the microwave sterilizer and when I take it out I assemble the nipple into the ring while still wet and put them in a drying rack to dry.

I am still using the 4oz bottles mostly. You can easily fit 5oz in and he doesn't take more than that yet.

Overall, I am happy with. the bottles. My only complaint is that they are a bit clunky to travel with. We have not had any gas problems and I will stick with them because of that. They are also nice and easy to clean and I reccomend the Avent bottle brush-I think the curve on it allows for better cleaning than the standard brush.

smomom
02-26-2003, 03:36 PM
I have been using the Avent bottles for about 3 months now and love them. We had a few leaking issues initially, but I think it was user error. They would occasionally leak from the area on top where the nipple meets the cap. Just don't overtighten them and you should be fine. I have gotten in the habit of checking my son's chin shortly after his feeding begins to make sure there is no leaking. We seem to have gotten the hang of them, because now his chin stays dry.

They also appear to do their job of minimizing (eliminating?) the air that enters baby's belly. One other note with using them - you will notice an "airy" sound when you use them. Your initial inclination will be to remove the cap, let the air out, and rescrew it. This sound is actually the bottle doing its air-elimination act. If you have other questions you can email Avent's customer service on their web site and they will answer them.

hope this helps..... and good luck with your upcoming arrival!

dd_ani
02-26-2003, 08:08 PM
DD is a year old and still using the Avents. The leaking can be an issue, which is a little annoying, but if you don't overtighten they are usually fine. Also, if you just screw the lid on loosely, shake to wet the rim of the nipple, and then tighten it usually helps to form a better seal and avoid leaking.

Good luck,

Michelle

MrsHT
02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
We love Avent bottles! We have used them since our son was born and ours have never leaked. Our son prefers the Avent nipples above all others. We have tried many types of bottles, and the Avents have worked the best for us.

abendick
03-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Just my input...I used the Avent bottles for three months. I must be a retard because I read how to prevent the leaking and still couldn't fix it. There is nothing like being out and about with a leaky bottle. Life is hard enough with a baby, why would you want to complicate it more with a hit or miss bottle. I eventually switched to the playtex nursing bottle with the drop in liner. The liner keeps out most of the air.

Hope this helps,
Anne and Emmett

Michigan Mama
03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
We used Avent bottles from the beginning as a fill-in for nursing. At 3 months, Hal took to it with no problems until we let a month pass without giving him a bottle. From then on he refused to take any kind of bottle, but would accept water through the sippy spout that replaced the nipple on the AVENT bottle. Now at 9 months, Hal has completely given up nursing and takes his milk solely through the AVENT sippy spout that replaces the nipple on the bottle. He loves it and so do we!!! We tried other sippy cups, but he refused them all. AVENT all the way for us. What I like most is that they grow with the child...GOOD LUCK!