PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Tales videos

esca540
02-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Any thoughts, likes/dislikes about the Christian based video series Veggie Tales??? Do the kids like/love them? From what little I know about the videos, they appear to be wholesome, quality entertainment for young children.

gour0
02-26-2003, 10:32 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I think I have just about everything they've ever made. I don't have any kids of my own, yet. But, I bought all of these for my nephew and neice. They loved them, too. My cousins children also love them. They are really good for ages 3 and up. They teach good messages and are kind of silly and fun. I recommend starting with Dave and the Giant Pickle. A good place for price is Walmart. But, if you have a Family Christian store near you, their price is competitive and they have a buying program, 10 punches earns a 25% off spree. (or used to, haven't been in a while...) HTH!

gour0
02-26-2003, 10:39 AM
You may also try your public library. Mine has a few of the videos.

oh, and they have a website, too. If you want to check it out.

http://www.bigidea.com/

JP4
02-26-2003, 10:51 AM
We love them! Even my husband and I really enjoy them.

jubilee
02-26-2003, 11:33 AM
They are adorable! My church has a library that lends them out. You might try your church, maybe they do too. My 11 year old even likes them.

MinnieMouse
02-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Dh and I are not overly religious....not that we are heathens, but we aren't part of a church, etc. My sister is though and is a big kid at heart (at 34yo) with no children of her own so therefore my daughter is waaaay spoiled by her.

Dd is only 19mo and has a significant Veggie Tale library already. Her favorites by far are the song compilation ones. We have Sing Along #1 and Ultimate Silly Songs that she watches constantly. She also has the set of characters put out by Fisher Price which she plays with a lot.

She dances and sings with the tape/dvd....even screams out for Bob (the tomato)along with Larry in the beginning of the Sing Along tape. She's been watching them since she was 15mo. I think the biggest reason she likes them so much is the music...she loves all things music and really enjoys them over non musical tapes. She never liked the Baby Einstein stuff...preferring Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer and Blues Clues to most other stuff....she also really enjoys the free videos that come with the Fisher Price Little People sets. We have three of them.

HTH

Christine

August Mom
02-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Family Christian Stores does still have the buying program and the 25% off sprees. Those are great!

kathsmom
02-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi, esca540!

We LOVE,LOVE,LOVE these videos! They are great! We have almost all of them, except for Larry Boy and the Fib from Outer Space. DD doesn't like the part where the fib was going to eat one of the other characters, but she loves Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed. All the videos have very catchy tunes and DH and I find that we are humming them throughout the day! They also have little references to things that adults would get (like Larry Boy dressed as JJ from the show "Good Times" and saying "Dyn-o-mite!), but that are still funny to the children.

Big Idea, which is the Veggie Tales production company, also has another series called 3-2-1 Penguins. We don't have those yet, but DD has seen them at church and at school and loves them.

HTH!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

sunny2003
02-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Hello there,

Just wanted to give another perspective - I have gotten these for my nephews (whose family is very Christian) and they love them. But, I have also seen some of these videos when visiting them and they are pretty funny and adult-hip without being overly preachy. The songs are catchy, the humor a little corny but not too much for a kid video, and the messages are good (be nice to others, don't tell lies, etc.) even if you are not very religious - I would recommend them.

Viv - expecting #1 on 4/26/03

gour0
02-27-2003, 09:55 AM
I like the one where Larry falls in the sink and says "Click, click, click, There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home..." :D

lukkykatt
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
I agree 100%. DS loves them, and they are "parent friendly", ie, you do not grit your teeth while they are on. DH and I have adopted the phrase "Make it right" from the video with the King and his ducks. DH even caught himself saying it on the phone a work when there was a problem brewing!

Another good place to buy them is at BJ's, but if you still have any doubts, hopefully your local library carries them.

MinnieMouse
02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
I like on the Sing Along video when Larry is stuck on the trampoline and screams "Jane, Stop this Crazy Thing!" LOL

Christine

Magda
02-27-2003, 02:22 PM
I agree the message is great, the music is good, but those talking vegetables freak me out! LOL.