PDA

View Full Version : FP Aquarium Swing vs. Graco open Top 6 Speed

brooke2003
03-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi- first time mom here, looking into swings for our son due in June. I had initially looked at the Graco Open Top 6 Speed, but the reviews I have read about the legs being close enough to grab (as well as for head to hit) makes me nervous. I am also interested in the FP Aquarium Swing, my only question is how fast does this go? Is it at all dangerous? Also, one woman said that with her (10lb) son, the back legs would come off the floor, leading her to think it may tip.

Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks!

flagger
03-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi and welcome to the message boards.

There have been some other threads here about the FP and the back legs coming off the floor. I think that is just a "feature" of the FP, but I have never heard of one actually tipping over.

We bought a FP Aquarium two nights ago and don't think it is any faster than the Graco. I also read that many babies like the cradle motion, then I read some babies hated their swings all together.

Tracey1
03-02-2003, 10:28 PM
We had the previous model of this swing, but I think all they've changed is the pattern and the mobile. I highly recommend it! I seriously don't think our newborn would've slept the first two months without this swing. We used it swinging in the cradle (side-to-side) position. I never had any problems with the legs and it certainly never came anything close to tipping. It does swing a little fast with a newborn in it (she was 7lbs)- per the instructions, we just draped a long blanket across DD's lap and let it drag on the floor, this really slowed it down and it wasn't ever a problem.

My friend (who had the Graco) was telling me that her baby just didn't like swings - I couldn't believe it, so she tried mine and her baby fell asleep in it (needless to say, it's at her house now!).

I also think the improvements with the aquarium swing are great. Our's has a stationary mobile. DD would stare & stare at it - I always wished it spun or played music!

egoldber
03-02-2003, 11:54 PM
I had the Graco swing. I like it and DD liked it. But she did start grabbing the bars when she was about 5 months old. When your baby does that, it is time to put away the swing. Also, I have no idea how a baby's head could hit the side bars. That really doesn't make sense to me.

Now at the gym I go to, they had the FP cradle swing. She could use that one until she was 8 months old or so.

But to be honest, once your baby gets to be 6 months old or so (or when mobile), there are generally not content in a swing (or at least not for very long). A swing is something you really only use for a few months (if your baby even likes it). I would check your local consignment shops for swings. My local one always has a half dozen or so.

HTH,

MinnieMouse
03-03-2003, 10:00 AM
We had the previous model of the FP Cradle swing and used our swing until dd was 16mo! She is such a peanut she didn't get too big for it until then...she's still under 25lbs, but very long.

We didn't buy or register for a swing with dd. I didn't think they were necessary...silly first time mom! At 4wks dh was getting wearing of rocking dd arms out stretched side to side at 2am!...we went out and got this swing and dd ADORED it. We used it rarely during non sleeping times, some extra fussy nights she slept there all night long, well past 1yr I may add.

Dh and I saw the new ocean swing this past weekend and we were both jealous...I would definitely recommend this over any other swing.

HTH

Christine

nofeea
03-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi- My baby LOVES the Aquarium Swing. We also have a Take-along-swing (which goes in the traditional back-and-forth direction) and she hates it. The cradle swing is the one thing I can put her in to keep her occupied and happy when I'm not holding her. The side-to- side motion often rocks her to sleep (without setting off a startle relex) and when she's awake she loves looking at the aquarium mobile. The choice of music or aquatic sounds also makes this swing a winner!

juliasdad
03-04-2003, 12:21 PM
We, too, have the FP Cradle Swing pre-aquarium, and I'm extremely jealous of the new motif!!!

Our DD really likes her cradle swing. It's very stable; I can't see any indication that any legs want to come up off the floor. It's a bit overpowered for a newborn, even on low, and so we'd hang a baby blanket or towel off the back to help moderate the motion. I'd strongly suspect setup problems if, with a 10lb baby, someone saw legs coming off the floor. Also, it almost sounds as if she's saying that both back legs would come off the floor simultaneously, which just couldn't happen as the cradle swing moves side-to-side, not front-to-back, regardless of which way the seat is oriented.

Get the FP. It's safe and more useful, in my opinion.

-dan

JLiebCamm
03-04-2003, 01:57 PM
The FP Aquarium Swing is hands down my favorite piece of baby equipment right now. It has significantly lessened my son's evening fussy period and he naps longer in the swing than anywhere else. We originally had the old model FP swing but exchanged it when we saw the Aquarium one. The moving mobile, light show, and music are all new features and keep my son entertained much better than the old one. Sometimes I feel guilty that he spends too much time in the swing, but he is so content in it!

As far as the legs leaving the floor, it does have a tendency to slightly lift on each side as it swings. But as he gains weight it does this less and less. And it has never been close to tipping; the base of support is much too wide for it to tip. And it did move quickly when he was lighter, but letting the blanket drag on the floor alleviated that problem easily.

By the way, my son really didn't like the swing until the 4th or 5th week, so if your baby doesn't like it at first just give it some time and try again. I can't imagine not having it at this point!

bnme
03-04-2003, 02:38 PM
My swing never lifts. Maybe becuase I have it on a carpet? He's been in it since 2wks old. And we also LOVE this -our fave, too.

McQ
03-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I registered for the FP Rubber Ducky cradle swing. It looks similar to the Aquarium swing and has the same cradle motion but has different fabric colors/toys. Are there any other differences? Has anyone had experiences with this swing?

JLiebCamm
03-05-2003, 11:09 PM
I don't think the Ducky swing has music or the light show. I'm also not sure that the Ducky mobile rotates the way the Aquarium one does, but you would have to double check that.