PDA

View Full Version : NEED YOUR INPUT about toys and activities for a 9 month old!

Michigan Mama
03-03-2003, 04:18 PM
HELP!!! My nine month old is crawling all over the place and pulling up on everything. My guess is that he'll be walking very soon and I'm realizing that he's outgrown his toys. What toys/or activities - inside only at this time - are best for a 9 month old who's extremely active? Would anyone suggest an activity gym in that outdoor plastic or is it too early?

Karenn
03-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Do you have one of those toys that babies walk and push at the same time? Colin has one from Fisher Price and he loves it. It has a basketball hoop on the front which he enjoys just at much as walking around with the toy. I think it's called the Stride to Ride Walker.
That's all the ideas I have since Colin's only 8.5 mos.!

LisaS
03-04-2003, 09:01 AM
FP Stand Up Ball Blast is great - DD's been using happily since 9 months and still loves it at 13 mo.s - its great for pulling up to stand.

Neurosmith Motzart Cube - big primary colored block w/lots of different panels - plays music when you touch it. DD loves this - 1 panel has a mirror, another has a ball that pulls out, another has buttons to push that beep...etc. Another good pull to stand toy.

Definitely recco a push-along/ride-on toy. We have a Chicco train which DD loves to play with (esp. the seat that opens to reveal a hidden compartment) but she can't push it - it moves way too fast for her. Maybe the FP one is easier to push. I've had better luck at friends houses with the traditional wooden push along carts filled with blocks - heavier so they don't move as fast.

Activity tables are great for this age - Leapfrog makes our favorite one. THey're great for cruising too.

Crawl through tunnel - fabric pop-up tunnel that folds down really small and thin - opens up pretty long but so much fun for kids. We have one since DD loves it at Gymboree (bought it there for abt $20) - she goes in and out and plays peekaboo w/me or her dolls with this for ages.

egoldber
03-04-2003, 11:30 AM
A push toy is a great idea. I think the best push toy is the Little Tike shopping cart. It is very steady and all kids seem to love it.

atlbaby
03-04-2003, 12:23 PM
We got Arielle the Little Tikes Push&Ride Racer when she was 9 months, and she still loves it. It's a push car first, then they can ride on it. Although they are supposed to ride on it themselves, Arielle only wants *us* to push her on it. :( In the Spring this toy can be used outside, which I am looking forward to.

I got it at Target for $19.99, and they have boy and girl versions (red/blue and pink/blue/white)--both are cute!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Rachels
03-04-2003, 04:25 PM
FWIW, one of my 9-month-old's favorite thing is a water bottle with some soapsuds in it. She shakes it like crazy. That doesn't address the mobility thing, but it's fun and nearly free, so I thought I'd mention it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

michlee
03-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Wow. I could have written this. I also have a 9-month-old and am too looking for good toys for him. Currently, I can place him in his walk around to keep him occupied, but he's about outgrown it. And so the search is on. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

-Michelle

August Mom
03-05-2003, 12:11 AM
In case you are interested in the Neurosmith toy, it's proper name is "Jumbo Music Block." it comes programmed with short songs about the shapes on each side. You can purchase additional cartridges as well. These cartridges are mostly classical music, but also include Disney songs, international sounds, opera and some more contemporary songs. You can check it out in more detail at: http://www.neurosmith.com/pd_jmblock.php.

There also is a product by Embryonics called Mozart Magic Cube if you are into musical toys. It plays several songs and the child can determine which combination of instruments he or she wants to play the songs. There are lots of different combinations. The instruments can easily be added or subtracted by the press of a button. My DS really likes it. I would think that older children would too because there would be more purposeful adding and subtracting of instruments.