PDA

View Full Version : after the swing and bouncy chair

memedee
03-06-2003, 01:00 AM
After the infant places to lounge,where do you put the baby down to do things like cook when he is too big for the bouncer and the swing.At what age is that anyway?
When they start to get mobile do you use a playpen?
Thanks

jojo2324
03-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately for us, DS got too heavy for both the swing and the bouncy seat long before he hit the age maximum. Not that there is an age maximum on those items, just that it was before he could really DO anything by himself. That was at about 2-3 months.

We got a highchair when he was about 4 months old, and he was happy to sit in that and watch us. Also, we could wheel it in front of Baby Einstein DVDs. (insert embarrassed face here...but they are so good at entertaining them! :P) Our highchair (Chicco Mamma) was able to be reclined, which was great because he wasn't *quite* supporting himself then.

Also when he hit about 4 months we started using the exersaucer. That has been the main place we put him when we can't hold him or need to do something. He loves it, but I think he is starting to get bored with it, especially now that he can crawl and explore stuff on his own.

DH and I are considering getting a playpen of some sort. Now that he is mobile, we really have to watch him every second...He gets into EVERYTHING!!! But sometimes the phone rings or you need to throw a load of laundry in...You should have seen him yesterday trekking on over to the cats' food and water dishes. :D This way, he can scoot about in his own area, and we can walk out of the room for more than 25 seconds and know that he cannot get into (too) much mischief.

Just my two cents!

Rachels
03-06-2003, 11:01 AM
We use the exersaucer or doorway jumper, both of which Abigail LOVES.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
03-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Most of the time I just put Sarah on the floor on a blanket. She was as happy there as anyplace and lets them practice motor skills. A high chair, like Joanne suggested, is good too if you have one that reclines (mine doesn't).

When they get mobile, you have to make a choice. If you are NOT going to completely babyproof the area where you and your baby are most of the time, I think you need some sort of device (like a playpen) to put them when you cannot watch them. A mobile baby can get into danger in a split second. We chose to completely babyproof our entire first floor (we have a very open floor plan). This way, I can put Sarah down and know that she isn't going to get hurt. This babyproofing has been a process, of course, so you don't have to do everything at once.

To keep an older baby occupied, babyproof a set of kitchen cabinets and let them play with you in the kitchen. Sarah will happily play with plastic bowls and spoons and aluminum pots and pans for ages while I cook. She loves going into "her" cabinets and playing with "her" cooking stuff. :)

HTH,

juliasdad
03-06-2003, 12:32 PM
At 6 months, Julia is no longer interested in her swing and is a bit big for her bouncy seat. But she'll easily spend a half-hour in either her bumper-jumper or her ultrasaucer if we let her!!

-dan