PDA

View Full Version : Using Bottles As Toys

August Mom
03-09-2003, 09:35 PM
In several recent threads (as well as some older threads), people have mentioned filling plastic pop or water bottles with various substances like sand, pebbles, water and glitter, etc. At what age do you start letting your child play with such things? How do you secure the top? It seems if the child unscrewed the cap you'd have a big mess and a choking hazard. So, do you use tape or is a child simply unable to unscrew a cap? I think the idea is a good one, I'm just trying to figure out how to implement it.

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 10:21 PM
I saw this idea recently on the American Baby show - they actually used a super-glue to glue the bottle lid onto the bottle. That would seem like the most foolproof seal to me!

brubeck
03-09-2003, 11:44 PM
It is my understanding that children do not develop the wrist movement to twist things until well into the second year and that the accompanying finger dexterity to twist open such a small item doesn't come until close to age 3. My 28 month old daughter can't open a jar lid yet, much less a bottle cap.

If you're worried about it, fill the bottle with Cheerios.

KathyO
03-09-2003, 11:53 PM
We did the superglue thing. Hulk Hogan couldn't get that cap off.

egoldber
03-09-2003, 11:57 PM
I used superglue and duct tape.

Rachels
03-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Superglue is a great idea! But so far we've used nothing. I just check the cap before I give Abigail her water bottle. She can't even begin to loosen it. She LOVES to play with this. I put a little water with soapsuds in it. She shakes it like crazy and the whole thing foams up, and she's delighted.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
03-14-2003, 03:47 AM
The plastic caps for color markers also work well inside the bottle. Between the colors and the sound, DS loves them!

Glitter and sand also sound great.

Paula