PDA

View Full Version : Hook-on chairs... new one at the Right Start

juliasdad
03-11-2003, 06:09 PM
We're shopping for a good hook-on chair for restaurant use. Looks like there are some reasonable choices out there.

One that I haven't read anything about, here or elsewhere, is a new item at www.rightstart.com (it's in their printed catalog). It's called the "Easy Diner Portable Hook-On Chair", made by Regalo. Can't find any info on it, but the picture makes it look good! Has anyone seen this? Anyone used one?

Thanks,

-dan

egoldber
03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
It claims to be compact, but I don't see how it could be with the length of those clamps. It is going to be similar in size to the Graco chair that has similar clamps.

Personally, I think the Me Too or the Inglesina hook on seat are better for this use.

HTH,

juliasdad
03-12-2003, 10:47 AM
OK, educate me! The one chair I had actually dismissed was the Me Too, because the clamp arm seems awfully short and the design relies on having a fairly square table edge, which looks like it will easily get dented by the clamp. The Graco looks like a pretty good design to me. I can't find an Inglesina to look at in person and none of the pictures I can find give me an idea of what the whole clamp system looks like.

If I'm hanging 20-30 pounds of precious cargo off the end of a table, wouldn't I want a lever arm that's longer than a couple of inches? Or is it that these long clamp arms make the seat a pain to use because it's a bit less portable?

-dan

egoldber
03-12-2003, 11:17 AM
My personal opinion is that those arms make the seat a pain, and therefore of less use.

I have the Me Too seat and it is great. It is INCREDIBLY sturdy. I have used it on many differently shaped tables, round, square, etc. The only problem I have using this seat is when there is a "lip" on the table that hangs down. Then the clamp can't get an adequate grip on the table. But these type tables make it hard to use any clamp on seat. We have used ours with Sarah since she was 8 months old and I see no reason to stop using it any time soon. A properly attached Me Too seat is NOT going to fail. The clamp is like a huge C clamp like the type used to do woodworking. My DH, the engineer, is very impressed with this seat. I also love that it can fit into a mid-size diaper bag or into a stroller basket (even the basket on my Maclaren).

I have not actually seen the Inglesina seat in person, but from what I have seen on the web, the design is pretty similar to the Me Too seat, although the clamp mechanism is slightly different. You can see it pretty well here: http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/ing/ing1834-qn1.html

HTH,

juliasdad
03-12-2003, 01:10 PM
My problem with the Inglesina is that I have yet to find a picture of the unit itself, not attached to a table.

Thanks for the info on the Me Too, Beth... I wish these things were easier to find and see in person. It's too easy to make incorrect judgements based on pictures!

-dan

egoldber
03-12-2003, 04:51 PM
If one is near you, BuyBuyBaby stores carry the Me Too seat.

HTH,

riostoker
03-16-2003, 03:31 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Me Too chair... one of the best baby purchases we've made! I love it and recommend it to everyone. I agree wtih everything egoldber said about it. It is on sale right now at Babycenter.com for $40!! You won't be disappointed!

momentofclarity
06-24-2003, 07:37 PM
My sister-in-law has the Me Too seat & it looks great. Does anyone know if the Inglesina version uses the same kind of clamps? It seems like a cushier version of the Me Too with a pocket in back. Is it? Wonder why the Inglesina only holds up to 33 pounds and the Me Too holds up to 40. Hmmmm.

egoldber
06-24-2003, 08:02 PM
You could always use a blanket in the Me Too seat to make it cushier. We did this when Sarah was younger.

HTH,

smomom
06-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Beth,

Do you use the seat on free-standing restaurant tables? or is it only safe to use if the table is bolted to the wall - like in a booth? I guess my fear of heights is somehow playing into my initial distrust of this product. You're really sold on it though, right?

egoldber
06-26-2003, 04:37 PM
It is a veyr sturdy, well designed seat. I have no fears using it on any STURDY table. You do have to use your judgement about whether or not a table is sturdy enough to hold the weight of your child.

It does not work on all table (but no hook on chair does). But it is an excellent seat for travel.

HTH,

APG
06-26-2003, 09:12 PM
the me too seat is the way to go---i love it!!!

ginamlee
06-27-2003, 09:39 AM
I am still so torn between the Inglesina and the Me Too.

I like that the Inglesina is more padded and has a pocket, but don't want to get it if it is signifigantly more bulky or heavier than the Me Too.

We eat out and travel a lot!

If anyone else has wrestled with this decision, I'd appreciate hearing what you ended up with!

sbaker
06-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Have you seen the Chicco hook-on chair? Both BRU and the Right Start sell it. We have one and LOVE it. It fits very securely on the table.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

lily30
07-09-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm just a lurker, but for those of you still looking for a better picture/idea of the Inglesina hook-on chair, someone is selling TWO on E-Bay! I already have the Graco Tot-Loc, but I may give one of these a bid anyway. The pics are better than I've seen of any other Inglesina portable chair. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2334138687&category=2986

HTH!

Lily,
mom to two beautiful boys

Marisa6826
07-09-2003, 09:16 AM
I saw the Chicco Hippo in BBB and it was VERY cool. I thought about getting one for when we go out to eat, but Sophie can't sit up very well yet. At $50, we really don't need it.

-m