PDA

View Full Version : Most useless baby product?

AngelaS
03-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Since I just posted MHO on baby bathtubs...what other products do you consider a waste of money?

Things I deemed unnecessary....lol

Baby bathtub

Diaper genie or diaper pail for disposable diapers (I just carry them to the kitchen trash which ususally gets emptied at least once or twice a day---why move them twice?)

Nursing pillow (throw pillows or an extra bed pillow work just as well and come in handy for a spontaneous nap on the couch)

Baby food grinder (a blender works great)

Both my girls hated the swing, but that's not true of all babies...

I'm sure I'll think of more later. :D What's your list?

egoldber
03-14-2003, 10:54 AM
LOL! :) This should be interesting. One person's useless product is another person's godsend! Here's my list!

Exersaucer (didn't have it, didn't miss it)

Gymini (a blanket on the floor and some toys is just as good)

$5 baby bottles

baby food grinder (my mini-chopper was fine)

jar baby food

Crib mobile (not paying that much for something you use for a few months when I can just put a CD player in her room)

Hmm. That's my top few...

colleenfs
03-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, we have some items that were barely used.
Swing - she could take it or leave it.
Pack n Play - was useful for first few weeks postpartum. We set it up as a sleep area and changing table downstairs so I didn't have to go up the stairs. Haven't used it since.
Doorway jumper - Didn't buy one as I feel they are unsafe. Someone gave us an old one ; tried it once. She hated it.
Baby Bjorn - borrowed one from a friend. Barely used it. Found it hard to get baby in alone. Might consider new model with second baby - looks like it's easier to use.

I actually would have liked 2 bouncy seats, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I had to cart that thing all over the place. Loved the ultrasaucer and the Gymini. Loved the 4-in-1 bathtub. I don't know how I would have bathed her without a baby tub.

I'm sure I'll think of others!!

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

bnme
03-14-2003, 11:09 AM
The one thing I have NEVER used is the infant head support. It seems everyone registers for that so I did too. My carseat and stroller came with one so I would use that one if needed, especially since those are the places you would need it anyway!

bonbon98
03-14-2003, 11:27 AM
The Night & Day Bottle warmer - actually any bottle warmer system - it just took too long to get the bottles warmed up. It looked cool in the store...

August Mom
03-14-2003, 12:03 PM
My worst baby product has to be the Bebe Sounds Prenatal Heart Listener ( http://www.thstore.com/thstore/ProductInfo2_2body.asp?ID=H-UNI-BE001&GroupID=357 ) What a waste!

Other wastes for us (I know these are must haves for others LOL):

My Brest Friend
Maya Wrap Sling
Bassinet
Any pacifier
"Baby" Lotion
Baby powder
Nursing ottoman (nice at times but overpriced for the amount that I use it)

Momof3Labs
03-14-2003, 01:27 PM
We have a few things that we could have easily lived without:

Bouncy chair
Baby Bjorn
$100 swing (a cheaper one would have cut it - Colin doesn't use it much)
Infant head supports (thanks for reminding me of that one, Donna)
Baby monitor (maybe we'll use it more later on)
Crib mobile
Little tiny tie-on shoes
Two-piece (sweatshirt and pants) outfits - hate 'em!

I'm sure that I'll think of more and be back!

Andrea S
03-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Here goes my list:

-baby bathtub
-swing
-2 piece outfits
-baby monitor -we live in a townhouse and can hear Andrew just fine
-fleece blanket which people make I got 2 and have not used either
-baby bjorn I wish I knew about slings so I could have gotten the hang of it early now we are struggling with it
-J&J baby lotion

I am sure there is more.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

ddmarsh
03-14-2003, 02:48 PM
My list (please destroy as soon as you read it :)) ---

changing table (purchased with first child and never used again after
he was 6 mo. old)
Pack N Play (puchased second one for most recent child and she will
only stay asleep in it for less than 5 minutes before becoming
restless)
nursing pillow
glider and ottoman - hate to say but it has barely been used
diaper genie
snowsuit - way too bulky for safe use on newborn, replaced with Bundle Me
which I love

I'm sure there are others, can't think offhand.

Debbie

brubeck
03-14-2003, 03:02 PM
FYI, in case you don't remember, Alan & Denise's book has a great list in the front of it. (fur coat, perfume, etc. :-)

For me the useless items were:

Bassinet (never used it, babies hated it and they slept in the crib from night #1 or on the floor on a blanket)

Pack 'n Play (waited until baby was old enough to roll over multiple times and spent the money on a Kidco Configuregate system that blocked off a large room for her)

Infant Carseat (used the RA even coming home from the hospital)

Glider and Ottoman (nice, but I think I would have preferred a nice overstuffed loveseat with cushions that I could have used elsewhere in the house later)

Double Stroller for kids 2 years apart (LOL, I know you guys hate it but I use the Baby Bjorn all the time for my infant with my toddler in the stroller)

Changing Table (bought a $25 Rumble Tuff changing pad and attached it to a large flat desk)

I also second wipes warmers and swings.

I know there are more I can't think of right now........

atlbaby
03-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Here's my list-in-progress (all I can think of atm):

Baby Bjorn (Arielle hated it, much to my dismay--I'm hoping for #2 though, or maybe I should get a sling?)

Bottle sterilizer (a friend of my mom's *swore* I'd need this--at least I didn't buy it myself!)

Wipes warmer (same friend, same insistence that it was *absolutely* necessary)

Snowsuit (I received a beautiful one, but it was such a *i&ch to put on her, and I had the bundle me anyway!)

I'm sure I'll think of more!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Sherry
03-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks for this list everyone. There are now a few things that I'm taking off my registry after reading this!

egoldber
03-14-2003, 05:51 PM
And remember, one person's useless product is another person treasure! But you can always get things later if you need them. I am a big fan of only registering for the basics.

AngelaS
03-14-2003, 06:21 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one that hated certain products! :D

I LOVE my Baby Bjorn---wish I'd shelled out the cash for one for dd#1!

I also use our changing station EVERY diaper change---it's a contoured pad on dd's dresser--I used it with number 1 until she was potty trained. :)

ITA with whoever else had two bouncy seats! I loved having one on each floor! :D

parkersmama
03-14-2003, 06:57 PM
It is funny how we all have such different opinions!

Here's my list:

monitors (we've tried several and none of them worked worth a darn!)

wipes warmer (burned wipes...ugh!)

bassinet/cradle (ds hated the cradle we borrowed and started out in the crib right away)

diaper genie (carry to the trash can after the blasted thing broke plus my "sausage chains" never worked right)

changing table (we changed in the crib on a changing pad until they moved out of the crib to a regular bed, then we used the floor and a changing pad)

baby lotion
baby powder

flannel receiving blankets (they were too thin to be of any use)

cutesie diaper bags (guess it's just not my style...give me the plain old LE any day!)

doorway bouncer (we had a hand-me-down but my kids hated it)

sling (never could get the hang of it...I think my son was too old when we started)

Guess that's it for now. I'm sure there are more. I enjoyed reading everyone else's lists!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

shibababy
03-16-2003, 11:26 PM
I do foster care so some of these products may be useful with other babies, but for my first little baby these were a complete waste:

Pack n Play w/bassinet and changing table-way too lazy and sleep deprived to have to actually sit up to get the baby out of the bassinet part. Always used my bed for diaper changes. Use the floor sometimes too.-RETURNED TO STORE

The bouncy seat-never liked it (I remember it was a godsend for my niece when I babysat her and had to use the bathroom)

Night and day bottle warmer-way too tired to accurately pour that little container into that little hole. RETURNED TO STORE

snowsuit-baby hated it

name brand diapers- I love Target and Wal-Mart brands

$30 diaper bag backpack-RETURNED TO STORE (SEE A PATTERN HERE?)Inconvenient to reach objects -used son's old $12 school backpack for awhile

baby toys-she won't even touch them, prefers the phone, remote control, paper, etc.

MinnieMouse
03-17-2003, 11:12 AM
First off what we loved...

FP Cradle Swing...didn't think it was necessary but changed tune quite quickly after dh swaying dd back and forth at 3am. Got it when dd was 4wo and it was indispensible.

Maya Wrap Sling - dd loved being close to us...used it shopping and around the house constantly for the first 9mo. As soon as dd learned to walk she wasn't interested though.

Arm's Reach Cosleeper - Used next to our bed until dd crawled at 6mo. Absolutely a godsend for WOH/nursing mom to get some sleep :-).

Gymini - Dd loved this. She played on it and took her naps on it in the living room for most of her first 3 -4mo...which is why I think now that she'll sleep anywhere!

Boppy - Absolutely indispensible for a nursing mom. I used this every time we nursed sitting up until dd got big enough that we didn't need it. Then she used it to be propped up on both sitting and on her tummy...often in conjunction with the Gymini!

Nursing Stool - Got a Lanisoh Nursing Stool from Walmart for ~$20 and it was a godsend. Propped my feet up just enough to support dd while nursing without having to strain my back. After we didn't need it anymore, it was a great step stool for dd, first in the front window so she could look out, now at 20mo it helps her get into her low twin bed.

Ultrasaucer - Dd really loved this as an infant. She loved to stand from just a week or so old and this allowed her to do so w/o our help. She started using it at about 2.5mo with a towel folded behind her...and used it until 6mo when she crawled. Then she played with it from outside until about 15mo.

Infant Car Seat - We only used this for about 6-7mo but it was great. We had the FP Stay in View Infant seat that had a soft carry strap that we slung over her shoulder...like a messenger bag. It was so easy to carry dd around. We were very sad when she outgrew it by height at 6-7mo...by weight she could have been in it til 13mo!

Stuff we didn't use...

Wipe Warmer - Didn't see the need. Dd does just fine w/o it...and they don't have any at daycare either.

Bouncy Seat - Dd really never warmed up to it. We are VERY glad we got the FP Infant to Toddler rocker since she uses the rocker all the time now.

Pricey Diaper Bags - We have three Land's End diaper bags and they work great (Lil' Tripper, Do It All and Backpack). Each have their uses. We love that they are plain and dh doesn't feel funny about walking around with them. There was definitely no need to spend $$$$ on "fashion" bags.

Bottle Warmers - Since we nurse this wasn't necessary. Even when using EBM, we just warmed it under warm water running in the sink.

Toy Sterilizer - Once kids are sitting on the floor and moving around, sterilizing isn't worth it anyway. Total waste of $$$.

Pack n Play - After outgrowing the Cosleeper we moved it downstairs and dropped the mattress to use as a PNP...total use about 3-5x in 10mo. We folded it up and stored it, now we have more real estate for all dd's toys :-).

Diaper Genie - Couldn't see spending $$ on refills. We have the FP diaper pail and Diaper Champ. Both work great...and use kitchen garbage bags.

I'm sure there's more..just can't think of them now.

Christine

sadiethegsp
03-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Another view on the registry: As you can see from the postings, you never know what will work for you and yours until you actually try it. Why not register for it? If someone buys it for you and you don't like/use it, then sell it, return it or donate it to someone who will. It won't be your money wasted. So unles you're worried about getting only the frivolous things and none of the basics out of your registry (and THEN having to spend your own money), I say go for it.

momathome
03-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Definitely the bottle warmer - returned it to the store and heated up frozen breast milk in a bowl of warm water
Bouncy seat - my baby hated it and I think we only used it 6 times
Couldn't live without my Baby Bjorn - Kasey used it for a full year!
-Lauren

emilyf
03-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Well other than an overload of stuffed animals we received as gifts (and all are adorable, so not totally useless) We don't have a lot of things I consider useless but there are a few things we don't have and have never missed:
bobby
wipes warmer
humidifier
bottle warmer
high end breast pump (I love my Isis for occasional use)
snap and go

It's funny how everyone's lists differ though. I could not have lived without my swing, bjorn and symphony in motion. All of which are on others' useless lists.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

MinnieMouse
03-19-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree about the Isis. I have one and it was awesome for occasional pumping. But since I returned to work full time when dd was 3mo and still wanted to continue nursing ...a high end breast pump was essential. My Medela Pump in Style worked great and I managed to continue nursing exclusively until 1yr...with no supplementing..it was a long hard road but we did it! At 1yr we started whole milk and we still continue to nurse 2-3x a day at 20mo.

Christine

atlmom
03-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Sterilizer - It's big and useless. I read an article that talked about the former need to sterilize bottles etc. when our water treatment wasn't as good. Not necessary now.

Bottle warmer - since I mostly nursed, we didn't use this much. Ours worked okay, but so did a cup of hot water.

Too many bottles - he never really took to bottles and I have lots of Avent 9 ounce bottles that we never used. at 12 months he still takes 4 ounce bottles to the sitter.

Most baby toys - loves tupperware, tin measuring cups, makeup brushes etc.

Pack n Play - would not spend one second in it. Set it up for a week, broke it down and stuck it in a closet - expensive mistake.

Swing - he hated it.

Bouncy Seat - he hated it.

Doorway Jumper - he hated it.

Never got a rocker or glider. We bought a slipcovered overstuffed chair and it was perfect. Comfy enough for me to doze in during those late night feedings.

Disagree with others on two things:

The Bjorn was a lifesaver. DS always wanted to see everything and the Bjorn was the only way I could get anything done before he became mobile. He's a peanut so I am still able to use it from time to time. He won't stay in the stroller. It's a nightmare.

Nursing pillow - I didn't like the bobby, because I still needed to hold ds in place. I got a Leachco pillow which is flat and straps on like My Brest Friend and still use it several times a day. When he was younger, I could let him sleep on the pillow and type on the computer over his head. Worth every penny for me.

caroliner
03-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Useless to us:

Avent bottles: leaked and DD hated them
Bottle warmer: takes too long, the micro is fine
Shoes: who puts shoes on a baby?
2 piece outfits
Wipes warmer
Cheapie plastic "free" diaper bags: these went to Goodwill
Stuffed toys
Bassinet
Baby sling: tried one and she screamed and screamed

Things we used/use, showing yet again, what is useless to some is a godsend to others:

Diaper Genie: LOVE this thing
Doorway jumper
Exersaucer
$5 bottles!!! Dr. Brown's, they worked and she loves them
Infant car seat: even though she was a 9 pounder and long, we used it for 6 months and I miss how easy it was
Baby Bjorn: LOVED this and we would have been in big trouble without it.
Baby bath: Eurotub!!!

The swing, bouncy and Gymini I am really happy we had. I would not say they were godsends, but I also would not go without... they were nice to have for us. And, BF did not work out for us, but the boppy was and still is nice too. She even slept in it in our bed before we got a Snuggle Nest... another godsend...

NancyB
03-24-2003, 02:52 PM
never used for winter baby baby bjorn
wipe warmer, bath kimono's, too many outfits should never have washed them all, snugglenest baby bed, pack and play except as a changing table,