PDA

View Full Version : Baby Formula - * * * Please Help * * *

esca540
03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
My wife delivered our first child (Anthony) on 3/2/03 and decided to bottle feed. The hospital used Similac Advance so when we brought him home, we continued to use it for the first few days. Each day, he progressively got fussy/cranky and seemed to have an upset/gassy stomach. We decided to switch to Isomil Advance (Soy based) and have heard many people say that Soy is the way to go as it is easier on the babies stomach. Anthony definitely did well on it for a few days, but in the last three days he has completely vomited his formula two times. Please help!! We are new parents and don't have experience to fall back on. Is this normal??? My wife and I are very confused. Do babies vomit their formula from time to time for no reason or is there a problem? He definitely doesn't appear to be sick and he doesn't have a fever. He sleeps well and looks good but don't know if this Soy based formula is causing a problem or are we overreacting. I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts/experiences to help get us through this stressful time.

Momof3Labs
03-18-2003, 11:50 AM
You need to talk to your pediatrician. When you say vomit, how far from his mouth did the formula fly? Projectile vomiting happens occasionally but can be a concern if it happens frequently. And you say he completely vomited it - it is likely that he only spit up a small amount. Somehow, it always looks like a lot but it really isn't.

Babies digestive systems are very immature, making them spitty and gassy for the first few months. Switching formulas won't change that (nor will breastfeeding), unfortunately. They just have to grow out of it.

Call your pediatrician - that's what they are there for - and talk to them. They can better determine if there is a problem or if what you are seeing is normal.

mama2be
03-18-2003, 12:07 PM
i'm typing one handed here with baby in hands so please tolerate the lower cases...the one handed peck...

i agree with lori keep your ped in the loop on this.

i am a recent mom of 3 weeks and bottle feed. the hosp started us on enfamil...and our baby didn't seem to like it as much as the costco brand powedered that we had stocked up on...many people endorsed this formula here several months back when i first came to these boards.

(AHHH two hands for a second here)...we use the Dr Brown's wide mouthed bottles ONLY!!!! and the Costco "Kirkland" brand powdered formula ONLY!!! And I think we have had one throw up and we think we didn't burp him well enough. I really think it is because he had on the most adorable outfit and he just had to throw up on it...

I'm not saying switch and use these because I have no idea...just sharing what we do...I know all babies are different, and as of now we thank the stars above we have had no "issues" with feeding.

Dr Brown's I have noticed get huge raves from bottle feeding parents, I have ntoiced soem Breast Feeding moms have nipple confusion with them...but for bottle feediers it appears they are highly endorsed...