PDA

View Full Version : Making a trip to Carters and Walmart

anna lisa
03-18-2003, 11:53 PM
I'm so excited, everyone I know raves about Walmart and I've never been to one. We only have Kmart here in NYC. I love Target, but I have to go NJ or Queens.

My friend discovered a SuperWalmart located next to the Woodbury Commons Outlet Mall so we're taking the 90 min drive up there on Friday. Hoping the weather remains sunny and 60 degrees!

Any suggestions what to purchase at the carters outlet? I haven't bought any clothes yet. Anyone know any amazing deals to find there?

Also, anything I should pick up at the SuperWalmart in the baby section??? I think I read someone raved about their diapers.

DH thinks I'm nuts. I'm so excited just to go to SuperWalmart, I don't need anything. I just want to walk around!!

Thanks!

cuca_
03-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Annalisa -

There is also a few other outlets worth checking at Woodbury Commons. Here are my suggestions:

Little Me - The last few times I've been there they've had great sales. Usually b/w 40-60% off most of the merchandise.

Oskosh and Children's Place also have outlets there.

Off 5th Avenue (Saks Outlet) usually has very cute dresses and outfits, I got a couple of Florence Einsman (sp?) little outfits there.

Also the Gap outlet and the Ralph Lauren outlet are worth checking out, they usually have cute baby things.

As for maternity clothes, if you are interested, A Pea in the Pod has an outlet that carries all three brands (A Pea in the Pod, Mimi and Motherhood), and the Gap Outlet also has a small selection of maternity clothes. I've gotten very good deals at both these places.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your day at Woodbury. Oh, by the way, there is a Target at the Palisades Mall which you should drive by on your way there.

Happy Shopping,

Carmen
EDD 5/30/03

August Mom
03-19-2003, 10:26 AM
At this point, I think I would concentate on basics like onesies and sleepers if you want to buy something at the Carters or Little Me outlets. For me, it's really hard to project sizes in advance and my DS has already arrived. :) But basics like sleepers and onesies can be worn year round. Also, you probably don't want to buy too many small sizes in these items because they are popular shower gifts. I hope your visit to Super Wal-Mart is all that you dreamed it would be. LOL However, Wal-Mart is not that exciting IMO. It will be an improvement over K-Mart, though. If you want to pick up diapers at Wal-Mart, the brand that has been mentioned around here is White Cloud. I don't know how practical using White Cloud diapers will be though, if you have to go 90 minutes to get more. Have fun!

MinnieMouse
03-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Walmart has an OUTSTANDING line of infant clothes called McBaby. They usually have an entire "family" for boys and girls and they are quite affordable. $10 for two items of clothes (2 shirts/onsies, 2 pants) or complete outfits (dress or romper/top). We bought a lot of these for dd when she was younger...they wear and wash well and because they come in a "family" they all mix and match wonderfully.

Dh and I swear by Walmart for all our "essentials" that are not food. Cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels and health & beauty products. They have the best prices on this stuff, hand's down. Target has it's place, I like their clothes better than Walmart's (except for the above McBaby line) and they have decent decorative things and furniture....but their prices on the "essentials" are almost always more than Walmart's.

Have fun!!

Christine

egoldber
03-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Pick a few things that you buy all the time and price compare Target to Walmart. Personally, I really dislike my local Walmart. It is always crowded and disorganized. And for the things I used to buy all the time at Target (diapers and formula), Target was actually cheaper. But pricing at these places varies regionally, so it pays to compare for yourself.

I have only been to one SuperWalmart (on a road trip when we DESPERATE to give Sarah a break from the car) and that was near Washington, PA. And I must say that was a VERY nice store. If my local Walmart was like that, I would certainly be more inclined to shop there.

At Carters, I always get a lot of Sarah's basics there: solid leggings, onesies, Tshirts and sleepers. They have lots of nice colors and mix and match outfits these days.

Happy Shopping!

anna lisa
03-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!

Carmen, I practically LIVE in Target in Hackensack, NJ or College Point Queens, and I know the one at the Palisades Mall your referring to. I've just never been to a SuperWalmart before. Oh, also I go to the Outlets from the Palisades Pkwy so we don't actually pass the mall on the way there. But thanks for the other outlet suggestions.

August Mom, Thanks for the name of the diapers. I don't plan on making the trip up there just for diapers believe me I'm not that nuts! :) But I do frequent the outlet center. It's a cute little village with over 200 stores so I figured whenever I do head up there, I'd pick up some baby stuff that I can't normally find.

Christine, Thanks for that baby brand at Walmart. I've never heard anyone mention it before. I'll be sure to check it out.

Beth, I know what you mean about disorganized stores. Our two Kmarts are like that and the one Walmart in Long Island is a disaster. I've passed SuperWalmarts down South (Hilton Head Island, SC) and they are HUGE. I don't plan on shopping here regulary - due to the distance. But I figured I might be worth it to check out the baby section. I will check out formula prices, just for a comparison.

I really just plan on getting some basics at Carters like gowns and onesies. I just know Carters is famous for that kind of stuff.

Thanks for all your help ladies!!

mama2be
03-19-2003, 01:26 PM
WE just bought our first Walmart brand diapers and like them better than what else we've tried (but we suspect the others were too small). the sticky tape is alittle too sticky and gets caught on his skin when I am changing him. But he really (suprisingly) does not seem to notice as I pull it off.

But at Walmart they also have the bags that smell like baby powder...I have yet to use them but know many people swear by them...These are bags to put in your diaper bag and to toss dirty clothes or diapers in...
As I held them in the check out line I had several people approach me and say how much they liked them...

ecarley
03-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Everyone else has given you great advice about the other stores, so I'll limit my comments to the Carter's outlet.

The first place I always go are their "Oops" racks in the back. They are the irregulars with a little dirt, grease, snag, or a seam that didn't sew closed. Sometimes you can't even find the defect! A lot of times you can wash out or repair the problem, or if it's pajamas or a onesie, who cares. The clothes on those racks are often the current season and are a real steal.

Next I go for the off-season stuff. Carter's outlets carry all the seasons all year round, so there's always something they're trying to clear out. Their deals vary all the time. I was there 2 weeks ago and they had racks of winter clothes all for $3 a piece. I got 5 coordinating pieces for my daughter and another 6 or 7 for my soon-to-be son.

And then finally, the current season stuff is always a certain percentage off retail prices, but it may not be a total deal because their retail prices can be pretty pricey. But if you're looking for something cute and well-made, you won't have any trouble finding it there!

So there's my introduction to Carter's. Have fun!!

anna lisa
03-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Wow, you know Carters!! I'm taking notes!!! :)

Thanks for the details!!

anna lisa
03-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Trip got postponed to mid April. Friend's baby caught a cold. I'll report back after I do make the journey to the outlets!