PDA

View Full Version : Burt's Bees Baby Bees Bath Stuff

C99
03-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Just an FYI... I got the Burt's Bees Baby Bees shampoo bar for my son. I figured that since it was designed and marketed for babies, it was non-toxic/no more tears...Well, that was a bad assumption on my part as I learned when I got soap in my baby's eye last night. I felt like SUCH a bad mom as 20 minutes of screaming ensued. He doesn't have tears yet either (when does that start happening??), so I had to flush his eye. His eye was a little red last night, but was normal looking this morning, thank god! My husband threw out the shampoo bar and I guess we're back to J&J No More Tears -- unless someone knows of a no more tears alternative to J&J?

HTH

Zansu
03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Tom's of Maine makes a nice baby shampoo.

Momof3Labs
03-24-2003, 01:46 PM
We use Aveeno unscented bath wash (in the adult section) because it is the most gentle thing I could find. Colin has gotten it in his eyes (we use it on his hair, too) and hasn't let out a peep so it seems to be fine!

COElizabeth
03-24-2003, 06:33 PM
James' tears started right at 3 months. It's so sad to see the tears! The Mustela foam shampoo is expensive but nice for a splurge. The Right Start carries it.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Tracey1
03-25-2003, 09:27 AM
I like the Mustela foam shampoo too - this is the only thing we've ever used and, while it may cost a little more, I am just using up my first bottle now and DD is 15 months!

kathsmom
03-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Caroline,

I am so sorry to hear about that happening! I had seen the shampoo bar on the naturalbabies.com website when I was ordering some stuff. They have the ingredients listed and state at the end of the description that the shampoo bar does not have any of the eye-numbing ingredients of commercial baby shampoos and is not to be considered "tear-free". I don't know if this is mentioned on the packaging or not.

We use Johnson and Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash, since it is one of the few baby products that is not overly fragranced. It comes in a pump container in the larger size, so it is easy to dispense. We also use one of those foam visors made for babies for bath time to help decrease the chance of anything getting in his eyes.

HTH!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Rachels
03-25-2003, 02:53 PM
I use the Burt's Bees stuff and am just really cautious with the suds. I find it helpful to keep an extra washcloth by the bath purely for dabbing suds off her forehead. I think the tear-free stuff isn't painful for babies because it has a numbing agent, but it's still no good for their eyes. As long as I'm being obsessive about not getting anything in her eyes, I'm a sucker for the Burt's Bees scents...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

C99
03-25-2003, 03:17 PM
>"tear-free". I don't know if this is mentioned on the
>packaging or not.

Nope. That's partially why I was so surprised.

Rachel -- I know! It smells SOOO good. Maybe when Nathaniel is a little older, I'll go back to it.

kathsmom
03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Rachel,

I love the scents for Burt's Bees too! We got a starter kit at our local farmer's market, and DD and I love the baby bees buttermilk soap. Even DH commented on the pleasant scent when he was helping DD bathe. I am very sensitive to strong fragrances (they give me headaches), and I can use the buttermilk soap with no problems.

Thanks for turning me onto this stuff!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Rachels
03-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Sure! If there's anything more delicious than a clean, buttermilky baby, I don't know what it is. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02