PDA

View Full Version : Gripe Water

anna lisa
03-24-2003, 11:38 PM
I was reading on urbanbaby.com that mom's swear by Gripe Water to soothe colic and gassy babies.

I've never heard of this stuff.

It's all natural, is it safer than gas drops??

Can anyone comment on it?

jubilee
03-25-2003, 12:04 AM
The hospital where I am going to deliver has a "mama shop" and they sell Gripe Water, which they say is for babies that have diagnosed colic. The sales person tried to sell me on it, but I haven't even had the baby yet! Sorry, that's all the info I have..

juliasdad
03-25-2003, 11:50 AM
We used it. I'll say that we didn't see the same miraculous effect that some reviewers on BabyCenter.com claim. However, it certainly didn't seem to make things worse, we *think* it was helpful for those crying-just-because bouts, DD liked the taste, and it is a natural remedy. That said, when we are pretty sure that DD has a gas problem, the simethicone drops are the first line of defense for us.

-dan

Marisa6826
03-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Annalisa-

It TOTALLY works for us. In fact the Little Tummys Milycon drops seemed to make Sophie worse.

The gripe water is kind of spendy - about $12 at Buy Buy Baby. However, that's a BARGAIN when your kid won't stop screaming!!!

-m

daisymommy
03-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I just saw some listed on ebay this morning! Ebay has everything :) It was $3.99 or $6.99 for Buy It Now. If anyone is interested it was under the Feeding-Other category.
HTH

anna lisa
03-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

I guess it's good to know about this stuff if the gas drops don't work for your baby.

I did read that once the bottle is opened, it only has a few weeks shelf life.

22tango
03-31-2003, 06:03 PM
The reason it works is that it contains sodium bicarb (like alka-seltzer.) If you do end up using it, just be really careful not to use it too often -- my pediatrician was concerned about the baby getting too much sodium. We got a bottle at our shower and used it when it seemed like the mylicon (gas drops) weren't helping.

cindi5
04-01-2003, 12:34 AM
I am in Canada and it is sold everywhere here and it is really cheap--like $3.00 for a big bottle. It's supposed to be all natural herbs like anise, dill, etc. to soothe the stomach. Isn't anise seed what you get at an indian restaurant to soothe the stomach as well? It really worked, especially for hiccups it seemed. I think some comes with alcohol (I think it's very minute).

There are a few different brands like the store brand, Woodwards, etc. and they all are similar. I gave some to my sis who had an upset tummy and she said it worked too. Our baby seemed to like the taste as well. I remember when he was a month old using that and the gas drops and I think the gripe water worked better. One never know though, just thought I'd add my experience with it. Is it not sold in the U.S.? I have been sending it to a friend who lives there since she cannot find it in her area. She even shares with the neighbors for their babies and they are all hooked. HTH.