PDA

View Full Version : Avent bottles

Cyn
03-26-2003, 07:43 PM
I was seriously thinking of using avent bottles for my baby. I have now since read of people having problems with these bottles leaking around the nipple. Has anyone else experienced this?

God bless you!

Cyn

kathsmom
03-27-2003, 03:08 AM
Hi, Cyn!

I used Avent with my DS for about 2 weeks when he first came home from the hospital. They were donated by my brother and his wife. I did not have any trouble with them leaking initially, but did a little bit later. My SIL told me about the tightening issues - too tight can cause leaks, just like too loose can. The only reason I didn't continue with Avent was because DS was never breastfed and he had some difficulty with the larger nipple base on the Avent bottle. They were very easy to clean and to pour formula into, because of the wider opening.

We have been using Evenflo classic bottles with sensitive response silicone nipples with no problems.

Good luck with everything!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

daisymommy
03-27-2003, 10:35 AM
We have been using (and Loving!) Avent bottles for almost 8 months now with NO LEAKS. Heres the trick:

Pull the WET nipple through the ring (this forms a seal). Put the assembled nipple/ring pair on the counter and put the lid on. Now screw this onto the bottle just until it is tightened (not too tight or it will leak). Usually most people put the lid/cap on last--but with Avent bottles this breaks the nipple seal, and puts air into the bottle (and baby's tummy).
It sounds funny, but we read the instructions, and I think it has made a world of difference.
Enjoy!

jal
04-01-2003, 03:24 PM
We've been using the Avent bottles exclusively for seven months and I think we only once had a leak, but that was using the sippy cup rather than a regular nipple (and we might not have been doing something right at first).

We started the Avent because we were breast-feeding, and wanted something to help prevent nipple confusion. Don't know for sure if it helped or not (like I said, we've used them EXCLUSIVELY) but we have not had any problems jumping from brest to bottle, and we've had to do a lot of jumping. It seems like son has been on either spit-up medicine or anti-biotices since birth. Generally will not take any of them directly, we have to mix with either formula or breast milk.

EDIT:
So far, the only complaints we've heard about Avent is cost (they are a little more expensive than other brands) and the fact that every Avent bottle or accessory item that comes with a bottle ALWAYS comes with a #1 Newborn nipple (and you can't buy bottles and nipples seperate, you have to buy the bottles with the #1 nipples, then purchase higher flow nipples seperately).

C99
04-01-2003, 10:25 PM
You can buy the Avent storage containers, however, which is basically everything you need for a bottle except the nipple and the clear plastic over-nipple cap. Target sells them in boxes of 4 for $11.99. A 3-pack of bottles with nipples and over-nipple caps is $12.99.

Ti Lung
04-02-2003, 03:58 PM
If you are talking of 3-pack bottles with nipples for newborns, then I think you will get a better deal at Buy Buy Baby (for those of you without a BBB nearby, they do have a website from which to purchase goods). 2 9-0z bottles go for $7.99, which is $4 per bottle (with newborn nipple/cap).

Jarilynm
04-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Avent bottles are great, HOWEVER you may want to take into consideration what kind of breast-pump you use. I got the Avent bottles because I like their design (I haven't had any problems with leaking, as I do follow the advice someone else gave about putting the cap on BEFORE screwing the whole thing onto the bottle). Then later I realized that the Evenflo bottles are totally compatible with my Medela breast-pump, so I can screw them on and pump right into the Evenflo bottles. When I use the Avent bottles, I pump into the little bottles first, then pour the milk into the Avent bottles for storage, so that's an extra set of bottles to wash. Of course, if you are using the bottles for formula, breast-pump compatibility is not going to be an issue for you, and you probably would be better off with Avent, because of the wider mouth.

C99
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I realize that you are quoting prices for the 9 oz bottles and I was quoting prices for the 4 oz bottles, but I am not sure how you arrived at the idea that BBB's prices were cheaper.

daisymommy
04-02-2003, 09:31 PM
You could always buy the Avent breast pump conversion kit which allows you to screw your Avent bottles onto any pump (including Medela--I tried!). You get two 4 oz. bottles and 1 pump convertor for $10, which means the piece is almost free! FYI...I found it at BRU in the Avent bottle section.