PDA

View Full Version : Bouncer AND Swing?

kapow
04-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Does it make sense to have both a bouncer and a swing? I'm trying to complete our registry. I don't yet have my boy, so I don't know what he will like, but I want to leave as few to-do's after birth as possible. I've read various recommendations and figure that I know the types I want, but does actually having both from birth make sense? Thanks!

nathansmom
04-01-2003, 10:22 AM
I have both. I recieved both as shower gifts. They have both came in handy since Nathan has become very fussy in the last few weeks. I think it helps because I can try different things when he starts fussing.

Rachels
04-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Definitely get both. The bouncer tends to be more fun and stimulating while the swing is more calming. I used them really differently.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kapow
04-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Good point - they are intended for different uses, so one of each will be great to have. Thanks to both of you for your advice!

chrissyhowie
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Your baby may have a definitely preference of one over the other so it's not a bad idea to have both. We had only registered for the bouncer based on the fact that my nephew used to fall fast asleep it in all the time. Problem was that my DD never falls asleep in the bouncer. We ended up finally buying a swing several weeks after she was born in the hopes that it would help her sleep. Took her a while to get used to it, but now she actually does sleep in the swing now. She plays like crazy in the bouncer!

--Chrissy
Mom to Chloe (1/29/03)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-01-2003, 03:42 PM
I have both. The bouncer stays in the bathroom so I have a safe place to put her down when I go there. The swing is in the living room where we spend most of our time. So far we haven't actually swung, but now that she is awake more, I am putting her in there to look at the lights and rotating animals for a few minutes.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

colleenfs
04-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Definitely get both. You may find that your baby doesn't take to one of them, but you won't know til you've tried it! And it may take more than one exposure for your baby to like using one or the other. We put Julia in her bouncy seat from day one. She really never took to the swing, but we kept trying it. When we have baby #2, I might even consider getting a second bouncy seat, so I have one upstairs and one downstairs.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

nicknack
04-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Since so many of you recommend getting both, could you recommend a particular swing? I'd like to put one on my registry. I have the Kick n Play Bouncer on there now, but was wondering about swings...thanks!
nicole

stillplayswithbarbies
04-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Fisher Price Aquarium Cradle Swing!

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

kaitlinsmommy
04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
We got the Fisher Price Take Along swing and like it because we have an apartment and didn't have a lot of extra room. If the Aquarium Cradle swing was out when we were shopping last year, I would definitely have gotten it. I think it's neat that it swings side to side too. And the point of swings is to relax baby so I don't feel you need lights and toys to stimulate baby. Good luck!

bina
05-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Right now we have a swing that someone has let us borrow, but it is not the newer open-top kind. She really likes it (and it's very calming), so I'm wondering about how long my daughter will be using a swing if I decide to get either the take-along swing or a new regular swing. She is in the 50% range for weight (90% for height), 11 lbs almost 2 weeks ago at her 2-month check-up. How long should it be before she is 17 lbs (take-along swing limit) or 25lbs (regular swing limit)? An APA book I have says that will be at 25 lbs at about 18-20 months, and 17lbs at about 7.5 months, if shes stays in the same percentile group, and if I am reading the charts right. Does that sound right? Also, will she be climbing out before she hits the weight limit? Any comments will be appreciated!

mcmorfit
05-04-2003, 04:08 PM
I second the Fisher Price Aquarium Swing! We got it as a gift, and thou we actually have never used it with DD we love it. She seems to spend more time in the bouncy chair - which we are borrowing one and then have the Aquarium one that she loves.

Here is a questions - so when do people use the swing?

thanks,

Momof3Labs
05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
FWIW, we had to retire the swing (big Graco one) at 6 months when Colin learned how to grab the side bars so it would stop swinging! He was 15lbs at 6 months, well below the weight limits.

If you use it a lot, then it might be a worthwhile purchase, but I would suggest against buying the $100 version (unless you have money to burn) and stick with a less expensive, more basic version.

nofeea
05-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Aquarium Cradle Swing!!! DD has been in several swings and she definitely likes this best. We use the Take-Along-Swing at Grandma's but she's never as comfortable in it as she is in the Aquarium one. The cradle motion soothed her long before she liked the back and forth motion and most importantly, it buys me a couple of extra hours of sleep in the morning!! (The aquarium mobile on the swing is great also- you can put on music for stimulation or bubble sounds for 'white noise' soothing... so many options!!)