PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Shortcake is back!

nigele
04-02-2003, 11:10 AM
I just got an e-mail from K-B Toys saying that Strawberry Shortcake dolls are on sale. I remember them from middle school (or was it elementary school?) Anyway, they were my favorite - my Mom even decorated my room with a Strawbery Shortcake theme as a surprise while I was away at camp. Ah - childhood memories!! Was anybody else as crazy about them as I was? :-)

jojo2324
04-02-2003, 11:27 AM
I was big into My Little Pony. And Care Bears! I noticed around Christmas that Care Bears were making a comeback. I wonder why they are reviving all of these 80s icons...:D

candybomiller
04-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I LOVED Strawberry Shortcake. Wow, first Care Bears now this. What a blast from the past. Thanks for the good news!

Candy
Mommy to Matthew Nicholas, 5/22/02

mharling
04-02-2003, 12:18 PM
I LOVED Strawberry Shortcake!!! I believe I was in early/mid elementary school when it was popular. Had lots of dolls and the big strawberry carry case. Thanks for the blast from the past! It makes me smile thinking about opening a new one on my birthday. :7

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

brubeck
04-02-2003, 12:38 PM
I had a ton of the dolls. Of course being a kid I kept them all in the same bag. They all started to smell of the same weird mixed fruit flavor. :-)

The best part is that I still have them and they are upstairs in the toy chest waiting for my daughter to want them. She'll have a full set of 'classic' dolls! Granted they'll smell weird but that just makes them more exclusive. :-)

celfsh
04-02-2003, 12:45 PM
LOL! That was my favorite part about them--the smell. Occasionally, I catch a whiff of something similar and I get all nostalgic.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

LucyG
04-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Oh, I just loved those! I had the snail cart that you could wheel the dolls around on! My first lunchbox was Strawberry Shortcake! : )

mamahill
04-02-2003, 05:04 PM
YAY! I have a Strawberry Shortcake Gang t-shirt I wear, but that's all I have. My mom still has my old dolls, but Ainsleigh needs some! Thanks for the heads up!

jojo2324
04-02-2003, 05:40 PM
LOL, I was just reading my TV Guide (YES...Reading it!) and they had a small blurb about the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles and how their cartoon is coming back Saturday mornings. But they won't be "turtles on the half shell" or addicted to pizza anymore. I guess that boosts their credibility. :D

atlbaby
04-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Oh how fun, I loved Strawberry Shortcake!! I have curly strawberry blonde hair, and as a kid I always felt sort of odd about it so I'd go around saying I have Strawberry hair like Strawberry Shortcake! :) Brings back memories....

I had the sheets too--along with my Sheera Princess of Power ones, LOL!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

kathsmom
04-03-2003, 01:34 AM
OK, I am going to show how old I am! I wasn't into Strawberry Shortcake - I was in junior high or high school when they came out! (I am 38 years old - I could have probably been a babysitter to some of you! Now I am starting to get depressed! :)LOL!!) My best friend's little sister had the entire collection, as well as smurfs.

I did like care bears, because I loved stuffed animals, but I never got any. DD now loves care bears and thinks it's neat that she has 2 of them (something just like from "the old days"). She has 2 of the small ones since they are cheaper. BRU now has care bear "pillow buddies". DD is dying to get one. She keeps saying that we can get it for DS, but I know she will just constantly "borrow" it from him!

Thanks for the blast from the past!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

AngelaS
04-03-2003, 08:11 AM
I still have my dolls too! I think I have 8 or ten of them, plus the butterfly airplane and the gazebo. :)

What were the twins' names? They're yellow and green---lemon/lime theme??

I haven't gotten them out for my 5yo to play with--she's just not into dolls. LOL

nigele
04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm so jealous! I wish I had saved mine!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-03-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm 40 and Strawberry Shortcake was after my time too. :)

Barbies were my thing. They still are. :) I have a collection that takes up a whole room in my house, plus some storage space.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Momof3Labs
04-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Oh yes - I had quite a collection way back when! In fact, I sold them a few years ago on eBay and made several hundred dollars!

To those who have the old ones - you might want to sell those for big bucks and buy new ones for your kids; they'll never know the difference. LOL!

jojo2324
04-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Wow! :)

I just saw a commercial for Strawberry Shortcake and Friends (can't remember them all, I know one was named Ginger Snap) and they are trés chic now. No more frock and bonnet for Miss Shortcake! She's in cool pants and a newsboy cap! ;)

mharling
04-03-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't remember the lime one, but wasn't the lemon one Lemon Meringue?

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

Momof3Labs
04-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Lime Chiffon! And, yes, Lemon Meringue.

MartiesMom2B
04-05-2003, 07:30 PM
I was sooo excited to see commercials for Strawberry Shortcake. She has a friend named Orange Blossom too. I used to have a blanket with Strawberry Shortcake and small smelly doll that I would practically shove up my nose because I loved the smell sooo much.

I'm so excited to see all of these 80's toys come back. Care Bears (Care Bear Stare), My Little Ponies (I had a stable), Cabbage Patch Kids. I loved them all. Cartoon Network even has a new He-man on. I used to love him and She-Ra. LOL.

Only if I had my old toys. I'm sure I could've made some money on them now.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

atlbaby
04-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Are you serious--He Man is on? Bring back She-Ra Princess of Power, I LOVED her!:)

I remember the mob scenes when the first Cabbage Patch dolls came out before Christmas in 1983(4?)!! I went with my best friend and his mom to the toy store and it was a madhouse, but we got them!

Anyone used to collect Garbage Pail Kids?? I remember trading them in the middle of class in 3rd (or 4th?) grade...

-Rachel

mharling
04-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I remember collecting Garbage Pail Kids too! Wow, I had almost forgotten about them.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03 (and counting!)

etwahl
04-05-2003, 11:26 PM
i dressed up as strawberry shortcake for halloween one year!

i also loved that purple pie man :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

jojo2324
04-06-2003, 01:00 AM
OMG!! Garbage Pail Kids!! Those were eventually banned at my school. Something about vulgarity...:)

The goal, of course, was to find YOUR name embedded and mangled with some gross term. I cannot for the life of me remember what my card said (Joanne was and is a hard name to find out there on things, like pencils, keychains, mugs, Garbage Pail Kids cards), but I do remember she had a short do and fishnet stockings. Oh, and a cigarette...I was so happy the day I found it! :D

atlbaby
04-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I think they becames "outlawed" in my school too! When the trading was at its peak, there was a kitchen fire in my dad's apartment and ALL of my Garbage Pail Kids got burned. It's so horrible, but that's what I was most mortified about! (Well, besides my still being a bit scared of fire and not letting my mom--different apartment!--use the oven for a while...) My dad went out and bought BOXES of them for me--so sweet, but the sad thing is, having so many at once took away the fun! :( Remember that stiff gum that would come in the packs?

-Rachel

nigele
04-08-2003, 09:31 AM
These toy manufacturers really know how to market toys! They bring back characters that we loved as kids now that we are parents. They just know they will bring back childhood memories for us and we will rush right out and buy them for our babies!

Tammy - I loved the purple guy, too! Oh what was his name??

brubeck
04-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Are you talking about Huckleberry Pie? Or the Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak? I had them both. :-)

nigele
04-09-2003, 12:09 PM
I had both, too! I was thinking of the Peculiar Purple Pie Man!!! How funny...

mamagoosie
04-10-2003, 08:03 AM
My personal favorite - Blueberry Muffin! She had that cool blue hair in pigtails.

alex