PDA

View Full Version : Baby's stuffy nose - what to do, if anything?

etwahl
04-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Lauren sounds really stuffed up when she's breathing and seems to have some troubles. The nurse suggested a humidifier or vaporizer. I said that I had an air purifier and she said that actually dries the air more. The air purifier was expensive, so I don't want to get rid of it really...but do we actually need a humifier or vaporizer? I've read some of the posts from earlier of people's opinions and I'm still just not sure. Sounds like there are lots of mold issues, hard water issues, etc. This is california, and we have VERY hard water.

Do all babies have this congestion problem? Will it get better with time, and if so do I really need to worry about it much?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

jojo2324
04-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I am guessing that you already bring her into the bathroom while you shower, but the steam might help. Also, have you tried drops, or breastmilk? I would use that for DS when he was little and it helped to clear him up.

celfsh
04-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Olivia got stuffy with a cold when she was just a few weeks old, too. At my mom's suggestion, I used to bring her in the bathroom with me (in her moses basket) while I took a shower, and the steam did seem to help a little. Also, I used to try to keep her head elevated just a bit when she napped so her sinuses could drain.

I don't know if that helps. I never tried a humidifier.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

celfsh
04-02-2003, 10:20 PM
I guess great minds think alike, huh, Joanne? :)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

brubeck
04-02-2003, 10:28 PM
FYI if you do decide to go with the vaporizer they are not that expensive. They are only a few dollars at TRU. And you can use bottled water if you think your water is too hard.

lukkykatt
04-02-2003, 10:32 PM
I have heard that it is fairly common for infants to have stuffy noses. We used to elevate the head of the bassinet, sometimes used a humidifier, and occassionally used saline drops. The stuffiness will go away with time!

candybomiller
04-02-2003, 10:34 PM
We've used a humidifier in Matt's room pretty much since birth. He always seemed congested, so we just kept using it. It also is pretty useful at providing white noise. We haven't had any problems (that I know of...eek!) with mold or mildew or anything like that. We do have hard water, but just clean the humidifier often and change the filter. I have to admit, I don't do either of these. DS is 10 months old and I've changed the filter once.

We live in a really dry climate, especially in the winter. I insist on having a humidifier in our bedroom at night, so I figured Matt should get one too. Just trying to be fair. :)

If you do go the humidifier route, get a cool mist one. I don't remember the reasoning behind it, but they are safer for baby. I think the reasoning might have something to do with SIDS and a warm room, but I'm not 100% positive.

HTH,
Candy
Mommy to Matt, 5/22/02

P.S. My ped recommended a nasal spray called Ocean's Mist (I think.). We ended up getting the Wal*Mart generic brand because it was all we could find. You spray that up their nose then bulb suction it out. They HATE this! Matt would cough and yell, but after I was done, he could breathe 100X's better!

beckyr88
04-03-2003, 12:50 AM
I feel like a dummy for even asking, but Joanne, do you mean to somehow put the breastmilk in the nose (if so, how?) ??? or just feed like normal...I've been having some severe dumb moments and just want to make sure...

Thanks!!!! Please forgive my post partum brain...

COElizabeth
04-03-2003, 02:04 AM
It will get better, but in the meantime, all the previous suggestions are good. We used saline spray fairly often, but our ped recommended using the bulb syringe sparingly (too often will irritate the nose and make the problem worse). Sometimes just the spray alone helps.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
04-03-2003, 10:55 AM
A little breastmilk in the nose will help clear stuffiness. Babies don't like it, but it works!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
04-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Check out the Tucker sling. I wish I had found that earlier! It may help if her head is elevated.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02