PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Bad diaper rash

blnony
04-08-2003, 08:56 PM
I know there have been posts about this, and I will try searching later, but Audrey has developed a terrible diaper rash. It started last night, and by tonight, Its awful. She was crying and in pain through her bath and diaper changes. She's not on any antibiotics, she hasn't eaten anything out the ordinary..I am just racking my brain trying to figure it out.
I've been CDing, but every third day she is in disposables b/c I don't have enough for three days. But she has used disposables before and we've never had this problem.
Its bright red and very bumpy, and it hasn't responded to anything today. I don't see any white spots, and I don't think its bleeding. DH is out of town, and of course all this would happen now (along with two teeth that popped through today ARG!).
I've tried Balmex, Boudreaux's Butt Paste and Mustela Diaper Cream and Aquaphor. Is this possibly a yeast rash? Or is there something else out there for a stubborn rash?
I really would appreciate any ideas or opinions, or anything right now. TIA -

ddmarsh
04-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Oh my goodness the poor thing - I'm sorry it's so bad. In my experience the prescription diaper cream (I can't recall the name) is great - it really clears them up quickly when it's more than just a rash from irritation. It sounds like since you are having trouble finding something that it responds to you could give it a try - most pediatricians will just call it in without an office visit.

HTH and I hope she feels better soon -
Debbie

blnony
04-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks Debbie. I did a search and saw someone mention triple paste? Is this the prescription cream?
I am just grasping at straws here. I just have to figure something out soon!

Rachels
04-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Look up www.askdrsears.com -- he has lots of good diaper rash info, and a photo of a yeast rash. Lots of diaperless time will help, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
04-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Could she be teething? I used to get a terrible diaper rash right before a tooth popped through, then it would disappear as quickly as it came.

No solutions, though, besides what has been offered - Colin has only had one diaper rash, and unlike his mommy, doesn't get them with teething!

blnony
04-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. The Dr. Sears site had some really good info. I think I'm going to call the pharmacy in the morning if its hasn't cleared up much. I don't think its yeast, I am also going to let her go without a diaper for a little while tomorrow, and just hope things get better. She's already been up a couple of times tonight. I gave her some tylenol as a last resort, but poor thing is just so out of sorts.
Thanks again.

LisaS
04-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Triple paste is amazing - you do not need a prescription - it is over the counter, but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it b/c it is not usually in the regular diaper cream shelf. I swear by it -it clears up my DDs diaper rashes overnight.

It is definitely stronger than Aquafor and has a higher Zinc Oxide percentage than Balmex (11.6%). It is not cheap - $7 for 2 oz (or $30 for 1lb), but you only need to use a drop for it to be effective; My 2oz tub lasted me 1 year - I normally use A&D or Aquaphor - only use Triplepaste for serious rash.

It was highly reccommended to me by my pediatrician, and my sister in law has used it for all 3 of her kids with great results.

You can read more about it and order it from their manufacturer directly - Summers Labaratories: http://www.sumlab.com/shop/home.asp?idx=0&rurl=

HTH,
Lisa

casey
04-09-2003, 02:42 PM
i used aloe vera gelly on them.and it's amazing .you can fine it in the pharmacy.i'm pharmacist i tried practically everything. i made own stuff (got idea from this board -mixing antiacid/aquaphor)+low strenth of HC ... but aloe really worked.
casey from nyc
mom to alex 10/22/02

blnony
04-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. The triple paste is great. Its almost cleared up today. I've also been letting her go "sans diaper" for about an hour a day and its really improved. She actually slept through the night last night! Yeah.
I just wanted to thank everyone and give a plug to triple paste. It was hard to find, and crazy expensive, but well worth it.

cluelesswonder
04-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I realize that I'm responding late, but thought someone might appreciate a few more leads. Glad your DD is better Brianna!

I use A&D religiously including putting it on my DD's skin before it's red if I know she's having one of her "poopy days". This seems to create a barrier first before any of the acids can contact the skin. In addition, instead of using wipes all the time, I occasionally take her into the bathroom and give the entire bottom a rinse/cleaning which will clear off any residue from the wipes as well as the gastric juices. My mother swears by this "Chinese" method (she says that's how she did it when I was growning up but that we new style Americans do things differently. ) If this doesn't work, try using "Bag balm" - used for cows' udders when they are sore.

I hope this helps too.

Karen
Elsa's mom 3/26/02

JustMare
04-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Glad to hear she's getting better.

I've found an excellent review on how to combat diarreah and diaper rash from a woman named Susan Gentile on epinions.com (user name: sgentile). She's done extensive research and recommends triple paste. She gives good advise on how to bathe and diaper during a rash.

Hope all clears up soon!

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-1850-E0806F4-38EC865F-prod4

parkersmama
04-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Although this doesn't help clear up the rash, if there are no other apparent causes I would definitely suspect the teething as the cause of the rash. For some reason some babies are particularly sensitive when teething. Especially if it's the back teeth they are cutting. When cutting a front tooth, the extra saliva created usually comes out as drool. When a baby is cutting a tooth farther back, they often swallow all that extra saliva and it ends up causing diarrhea and can in turn cause diaper rash. My older son had this so bad (diarrhea and diaper rash for 2 weeks) when he was cutting his 1 yr. molars that I insisted that his stool be tested for some cause!! They didn't find anything and finally convinced me that it was just teething. He continued to have this problem whenever he cut a tooth toward the back (there are 8 molars by around age 2). Fortunately, ds #2 never had this problem so I guess it's just some children are extra sensitive! HTH!