PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Mamma

lrgeller
04-10-2003, 11:12 AM
I have the Chicco Mamma highchair. My son makes an absolute mess of it every time he sits in it, and despite my efforts, it has become filthy!
Can I (Should I?) put the straps and/ or the cover in the washing machine?
Any suggestions?

mamahill
04-10-2003, 11:30 AM
I just wheel mine over to the sink and use a sponge (with a scrubby surface on one side) on it. Sometimes I use an old toothbrush. I would be hesitant to put it in the washer in case the padding got saturated and couldn't dry. Then you'd be faced with mildew smell... I've heard of people who wheel it into the backyard and hose it down. This didn't really answer your question... sorry!

lukkykatt
04-10-2003, 02:26 PM
I have never put the straps in the washing machine, but I don't see why you couldn't. I just wipe them off until that doesn't work any longer, then I soak them in hot water and dish detergent, then rinse and hang to dry.

I would not put the cover in the washing machine. Again I just wipe after every meal until it gets too bad. Then maybe once a month or so, after dinner I take it off, and rinse it off in the bathtub. I make sure to scrub the fabric around the edges, and also push out the seat part so I can get all the crumbs that have fallen in the creases. Then I hang it up over the shower head to dry. It is dry by the morning, and looks great (until lunch time - ha!). My mamma is now 3 years old (using it with my second child) and I have never had a problem with a mildew smell from doing this.

While the cover is off, I get an antibacterial wipe and "detail" the whole high chair. Some people take the cover off and put the whole high chair in the shower and run the water on hot. This is supposed to be great for loosening stuck on food. Then they dry it off with a towel. I have never needed to do this though.

HTH!

brubeck
04-10-2003, 03:35 PM
I put the straps in the laundry machine ALL the time. Just don't use the dryer because the plastic could melt. I also have put the cloth-y crotch strap into the laundry. I have never put the seat cover into the laundry.

I am one of those who has hosed the chair down in the backyard, but I only do that if there is a SERIOUS mess and it is still wet. If it is dried on it is too late.

For dried on messes I start with an antibacterial wipe, then use an old toothbrush to loosen up the stuff in the crevices (eg: around the bottom of the seat). Then I vacuum the stuff I loosened up with the crevice tool and then finish off with another anti-bacterial wipe. The tray can go in a solo dishwasher run or in the laundry room sink, or just be wiped down as well. I use a nail file to get gunk out of the thin crack around the middle of the tray.

jojo2324
04-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Eeeew, I just dealt with this today!! :D We are using a second-hand Mamma that my in-laws got a yard sale for THEIR baby. (long story...) Anyway, I was scrubbing at the straps when I noticed what was UNDERNEATH the seat cover and I almost lost it. :( NOT pretty!

Well, needless to say, I nearly ripped the thing trying to wrench it off the chair. I was going to put the straps in the wash, but having read the poster about soaking them, I think I will go that route instead.

I just scrubbed the cover. I don't think I would put that in the washer.

christic
04-13-2003, 05:15 PM
I've put both straps and cover in the washing machine on gentle. Came out fine!