PDA

View Full Version : When Do Babies Stop Using Bouncy Seats?

kclm
04-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Hi,

At what age do babies typically start getting bored with the bouncy seat?

Thanks,
Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

parkersmama
04-12-2003, 10:35 AM
I'd say that when they start sitting up (either propped or on their own) it's time to kiss the bouncy seat good-bye. Some babies will tolerate it longer but most like to be sitting once they learn how. That said, in my opinion, the happiest baby times were the ones when the baby can sit up and play on the floor with toys but can't crawl around to actually escape anywhere! They are happy to be sitting and you can leave the room for short periods and they are right where you left them when you return! Enjoy it because it all changes mightily when they start locomoting!! :-)

Karenn
04-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Colin actually started getting bored with sitting in his at around 4.5 months. At that point, if I didn't use it for a week he would be happy in it again for a while, but it stopped being the life saver that it had been. We started using the exersaucer if we needed a place to put him while we ate or whatever. It varies though, I had a friend whose baby happily enjoyed hers until 7 or 8 months. I think for safety reasons though, once they're sitting, they're not supposed to be in a bouncy seat. I have to add, once Colin started crawling, the bouncy seat became one of his favorite toys again. He likes to pull up and play with it- from the outside.

LisaS
04-13-2003, 09:20 AM
My DD is 14 months and still sits in hers - its now her TV chair. We have the Combi Activity Rocker (w/the hard toys on the bar). We removed the bar - sit the chair fully upright and flat on the ground (it has the ability to be a "rocker" as well) and she loves it.
It goes up to 25lbs, so we're almost at the limit at 21lbs, but I think we have a good 5-6 more months.

She was, however, bored with just sitting in it and looking at the toy bar as soon as she could sit on her own and play with toys on the floor (5 1.2/6 months). We haven't used the vibrating feature since before then either (maybe 3/4 months - but in the beginning it was a lifesaver).

egoldber
04-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Most bouncers have weight limits and say to stop using them when your child can grab or sit up on their own. Most babies don't like to be that confined once they can sit up.

I had the Infant to Toddler rocker and am very glad I bought that one. We used it as a bouncer until she was around 5 months. We then didn't really use it again until recently. She now LOVES sitting in "her" chair to watch TV or whatever.

HTH,